cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To PIF or Not to PIF? That is the question...

tag
JYKim1
New Contributor

To PIF or Not to PIF? That is the question...

I just pulled my EQ report and found a handful of small collections that I wasn't even aware of. I do remember them, but they were not present on the EX or TU report. There are two Medical bills for small amounts in 2008 that I could PIF or try to settle. I don't know if I want to wait 2 years to wait for them to fall off. Should I call them and get a written agreement to PFD?

Starting Score: EQ: 565 EX: 572 TU: 571
Current Score: EQ: 587 EX: 643 TU: 610
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: To PIF or Not to PIF? That is the question...

Not every creditor will report to all 3 CRAS, which is a good thing.

If you know they are yours write them and ask if they would be willing to delete for payment.  Sometimes they refuse to give anything in writing but say they will delete.  You just need to go with your gut feeling about trusting them.  Most will.

Email can work too if you have the address.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

As for the option of waiting two years for them to fall off, while it will prevent others from becoming aware of the unpaid debt by viewing an unpaid collection in your CR, the debt will still remain unsatisifed after credit report exclusion of the colllection.  It could still become a factor in subsequent apps for credit, as they could become aware of the continued presence of unpaid debt via other means, such as simply requiriing a lisiting in your credit app.  It is always best, other than $ out of pocket, to have no unpaid, delinquent debt in your credit history.

As for settlement vs. PIF, obviously, the best situation is to obtain a PFD, and thus no credit reporting remains.

In the event they wont bite on a PFD, the next best option is to attempt to settle for less, thus saving $, with their agreement not to report paid/settled for less to the CRA.

In that event, the acct will appear the same to others viewing your CR as if you had paid in full.

If they wont agree not to report paid/settled for less, then a PIF will avoid that comment.  You can pay the full amount to avoid others seeing that, in the past, you did not fully pay your entire obligated debt.  It might be worth the $.

Message 3 of 6
JYKim1
New Contributor

Ok. So I have looked at other threads on here, and I'm confused on the suggested route. Do I contact the OC to get the account withdrawn from the CA so I can PIF? But then what? Contact the CA and ask for a DV or GW and hope that they pull it off? Or am I better off contacting the CA and asking for the PDF?

Starting Score: EQ: 565 EX: 572 TU: 571
Current Score: EQ: 587 EX: 643 TU: 610
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

If you are able to obtain acceptance of a PFD by the debt collector and pay thru them, it removes any issues of their having to delete after you pay the OC based on termiantion of their collection. 

It's the direct route, and any PFD agreement becomes a binding contract that you can enforce.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.