Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To verify or dispute?

tag
renamariee
Contributor

To verify or dispute?

I have a few collections on my account and I was not sure if I should dispute them or have them verified first? I'm not even sure of the validity of disputing all my collections but someone else told me to dispute everything and I'm not sure the proper steps to take. I'm in Texas if it matters.

Starting Score: 587
Current Score: 637
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: To verify or dispute?

Do you know who they are collecting for? List the collection agencies. You may have one that deletes the account off your reports if settled or paid in full. Then the gang can go from there.

Message 2 of 8
renamariee
Contributor

Diversified Consultants -- Collecting for AT&T U-Verse
Portfolio Recovery -- Collecting for Synchrony Bank

Receivables Performance -- Collecting for Sprint

Pro Collect -- Collecting for Springlake Apartments (This is a broken lease)

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t recall on Diversified, but Portfolio will delete upon payment. Not sure on the last ones.

Disputing valid collections is not the way to go. That’s not what it’s for and although you may get lucky and have something removed, you can also have it verified and re-entered on your reports, which will cost you further in points lost.
Message 4 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you call Portfolio and make payments or if they agree to settle for a lessor amount. They will remove that collections off your report. Its advertised on their webpage. Telecommunication collections are harder to try to get deleted. Apartments I'm not sure about. Its not advisable to dispute accurate info. It can come back and bite you. Make contact with Sprint and AT&T. Tell them you'll pay what you owe and if they would recall the debt from the collection agency once paid. Better shot that way. The apartment part with ProCollect. Maybe someone can chime in on that one. It doesnt come up here often to give you an honest answer. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 8
renamariee
Contributor

Thank you! Honestly I think AT&T is just charging me for a modem I never returned that I should really try to find... I was not a responsible young adult. As for Portfolio, even though it's on their website that they will delete should I still get something in writing that they will honor a PFD? I'm reading up and am trying to figure out if I need to send them a PFD request or just make payment arrangement with them.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@renamariee wrote:

Diversified Consultants -- Collecting for AT&T U-Verse
Portfolio Recovery -- Collecting for Synchrony Bank

Receivables Performance -- Collecting for Sprint

Pro Collect -- Collecting for Springlake Apartments (This is a broken lease)

Call AT&T. See if can get transferred to new accounts if possible. If you get transferred to billing they will transfer your call directly to Diversified. You don’t want that. After you get a hold of someone in new accounts tell them you owe them money and you know you will never be able to get service from them in the future unless you pay. Then they will take your payment. It’s really important you pay AT&T and not Diversified. After you pay (get confirmation of course), wait a few weeks and AT&T will recall the debt from Diversified. If after a few weeks it does not drop you can dispute (ask for verification). This will force Diversified to check their systems to see if they still own the debt and it will show it was recalled and it will drop from your CR. You only have to do the last step if it doesn’t drop on its own.

Message 7 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Companies that will PFD do honor their advertising on their site. They have a contract not to delete info from the CRA's. But they do it anyways. So no you wont get a letter. I havent seen Portfolio reneg yet on their policy.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.