cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Told 3X creditor would remove lates; hasn't happened...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Told 3X creditor would remove lates; hasn't happened...

I posted about this a few months back when I was at 2X, but I can't find the thread and would like some advice on this.

As many of you may know, I'm a huge fan of the Saturation Technique to remove negative items through GW letters.  You can read about that here if you aren't familiar:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

Anyway, finally back in October using the technique above I received a favorable response from one of my creditors (Wells Fargo) that they would remove the negative reported information.  The removal only came to one bureau though, EQ, where it still remained on EX and TU.

I continued sending them letters after I saw that the negatives weren't removed from all 3 bureaus.  In December I received a second letter that they were submitting a request to all major reporting agencies to have the negative information removed.  Again, it remained, so I sent more letters.

In February I received a THIRD letter stating that they had sent a THIRD request to the bureaus to have all the negative account information changed to paid as agreed.  And, AGAIN, it still remains. 

My question is what is my recourse at this point?  The two suggestions I believe I've heard on this forum so far are to file a dispute with the BBB or to call the bureaus myself and try and get them to update the trade line, presumably by providing them (faxing) with copies of the letters I received from Wells Fargo stating that the account would be updated. 

Any suggestions on which of these avenues, if either, I should go down or should I keep contacting WF and letting them know that the negative information still is present? 

I've never run into this problem in the past with any creditors.  Any time I've been told a GW adjustment was going to be made, it always happened the first time I was told it would and it happened promptly.  The fact that the negatives DID get removed from EQ upon receiving their first favorable response letter in October DOES tell me that they weren't BSing me and that at least 1 request WAS sent to have the trade line updated.  I just don't get why with supposed repeated requests that this hasn't happened yet for me.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Told 3X creditor would remove lates; hasn't happened...

I suggested the BBB in that thread. I explained you would have good success going that route.
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Funny, after starting this thread I got my mail and wouldn't you know there was a 4th letter in there from Wells Fargo in there again stating that they submitted a request to the bureaus to remove the negative items. 

I suppose I'll give it another week and then go down the BBB route since it's just getting sort of ridiculous at this point.

Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't you also submit the letter with a dispute to ex and tu?

Message 4 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not a good idea since it's is against CRA's policy not to change accurate information and possibly inflame the creditor to change their mind.

I would give it up to 90 days and then go the BBB route.

Message 5 of 40
vaupinya1
Established Member

I would like to write a GW letter to Wells Fargo, which address are you using? Thanks in advance!
Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not a good idea since it's is against CRA's policy not to change accurate information and possibly inflame the creditor to change their mind.

Two lates were removed from an account on my reports and technically those payments were late. My mortgage lender got a letter on letterhead from the creditor saying they were removing the late payment remarks from my account and gave it to the credit bureaus for a rapid rescore. I *highly* doubt that my lender would do something shady with my credit.

Change their mind? The point of getting the agreement in writing is so that it is a legally binding agreement.

Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Two lates were removed from an account on my reports and technically those payments were late. My mortgage lender got a letter on letterhead from the creditor saying they were removing the late payment remarks from my account and gave it to the credit bureaus for a rapid rescore. I *highly* doubt that my lender would do something shady with my credit.

Change their mind? The point of getting the agreement in writing is so that it is a legally binding agreement.

I didn't say anything was shady.

It's simply against CRA policy that accurate information should not be changed or deleted. Robert can chime in with more specific information.

IMO disputing what a creditor promises for a courtesy GW adjustment or deletion could make it more difficult for consumers to get GW adjustments in the future if the CRA's agencies are getting disputes because creditors promised a GW gesture and it wasn't done fast enough. 

The creditor or CA is doing the consumer a HUGE favor to begin with, why tell on them because we need rapid scoring increases. The BBB is the best route to take and it will work.

Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Donny10, I guess I'm not really seeing the difference here between going through the BBB or if you go down the "dispute" route.  I mean, technically, aren't both disputes?  When going through the BBB aren't you basically saying that a company is doing something wrong and you want that wrong taken care of?  I feel like this is more or less the same thing as a dispute.  Am I looking at this incorrectly?  Either way you go down, the business is contacted and told that you the consumer are upset because they did something wrong, no?

Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't say anything was shady.

It's simply against CRA policy that accurate information should not be changed or deleted. Robert can chime in with more specific information.

IMO disputing what a creditor promises for a courtesy GW adjustment or deletion could make it more difficult for consumers to get GW adjustments in the future if the CRA's agencies are getting disputes because creditors promised a GW gesture and it wasn't done fast enough. 

The creditor or CA is doing the consumer a HUGE favor to begin with, why tell on them because we need rapid scoring increases. The BBB is the best route to take and it will work.

I'm guess I'm a bit unclear how the CRA would know it was a courtesy adjustment and not a correction of error.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.