Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top 20 Credit Union says I owe... Have no idea

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top 20 Credit Union says I owe... Have no idea

They got my name and address right with an account number.

Just checked my TU report and do not see anything about this no inquiries concerning this. I have no idea what they're talking about, but they are looking for a few thousand dollars!

Says if if I have any questions please contact them with the appropriate numbers and obviously I did, but did not provide my social the first call. Going to call back, but what the...

My score is good and I don't need this right now. What kind of situation am I in and what should I be doing right now..... Notice says I have a couple weeks to make payment arrangements of which I know nothing about. This is crazy. Credit Union is legit in the US. Is there a chance they got me mixed up with somebody else and the wrong social??(which would be very unprofessional) I'm just concerned about my fico score right now obviously.

I dug around a little bit and this credit union does not do hard inquiries apparenty so therefore I wouldn't be able to see anything on my TU report (haven't tried EX or EQ yet I do the free report every 4 months) But I would at least see a soft inquiry right??? I'm hoping they got my name mixed up.......(once again very unprofessional if the case)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Top 20 Credit Union says I owe... Have no idea

Assuming you would know if there was any way that you really owed thousands of dollars (e.g. you owed it to some instution that the CU has acquired) this is either a mistake or identiy theft (on one of the CAs you haven't checked.  Can't assume SP on all three).   Call and reference the letter with the account number and say you suspect identiry theft if their records are correct   Is this for unpaid credit card?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Assuming you would know if there was any way that you really owed thousands of dollars (e.g. you owed it to some instution that the CU has acquired) this is either a mistake or identiy theft (on one of the CAs you haven't checked.  Can't assume SP on all three).   Call and reference the letter with the account number and say you suspect identiry theft if their records are correct   Is this for unpaid credit card?

+1

The only thing I would add to LTL's advice is you need to pull your credit reports from the other 2 bureaus and go over them with a magnifying glass before you call the CU back. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Great name. That's me pretty much lol everyone with cards should be on this forum. Thanks for the reply.

I do have a payment arrangement with a bank for overdrawn account that said bank sent to collections, but I've been mailing them a check monthly, nothing on credit report, and it's a much smaller amount. I will look into this though to be sure something haywire did not happen.

This credit union is looking for about four grand that, and I'll keep saying it, I know nothing about. I'm hoping they're unprofessional and have me mixed up with someone else under the same name, but I'm preparing for some type of fraud going on here.

I need to check the other two credit agencies (EQ and EX) but a credit card would be on there as a hard inquiry no ifs, ands, or buts about it, right?? I feel like in the worst case it's a checking account that got opened as a soft inquiry, but still, I would see this soft inquiry on one of the three reports, right? Even if it's a lowly checking account that maybe a person used to pull a fast one on me (maybe random)

I do not remember if when I opened my own personal checking/savings accounts that if or how that reported on my credit reports, if at all. I just hope the credit union got me mixed up with someone else, but hope in finances is ridiculous I know.

I'm taking the rest of the day off to cool out and mull this over before contacting them again. Even though the letter and numbers and everything checks out I just did not want to provide my social right away.

Message 4 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Great name. That's me pretty much lol everyone with cards should be on this forum. Thanks for the reply.

I do have a payment arrangement with a bank for overdrawn account that said bank sent to collections, but I've been mailing them a check monthly, nothing on credit report, and it's a much smaller amount. I will look into this though to be sure something haywire did not happen.

This credit union is looking for about four grand that, and I'll keep saying it, I know nothing about. I'm hoping they're unprofessional and have me mixed up with someone else under the same name, but I'm preparing for some type of fraud going on here.

I need to check the other two credit agencies (EQ and EX) but a credit card would be on there as a hard inquiry no ifs, ands, or buts about it, right?? I feel like in the worst case it's a checking account that got opened as a soft inquiry, but still, I would see this soft inquiry on one of the three reports, right? Even if it's a lowly checking account that maybe a person used to pull a fast one on me (maybe random)

I do not remember if when I opened my own personal checking/savings accounts that if or how that reported on my credit reports, if at all. I just hope the credit union got me mixed up with someone else, but hope in finances is ridiculous I know.

I'm taking the rest of the day off to cool out and mull this over before contacting them again. Even though the letter and numbers and everything checks out I just did not want to provide my social right away.

Go back through your financial relationships of the past; then look at the given CU and see if they've acquired or merged with anyone... it could be a debt from some other institution.

It's likely it's more than 2 years old anyway, inquiries /shrug, you want to look at the tradelines, and should go get something like your Lexis Nexis report to see if they aggregated any public record which didn't land on your credit reports. 

Armed with that I'd be ready to do battle.  Statistically it's likely something got screwed up somewhere, but it's worth getting your ducks in a row.  Also check the statute of limitations in your state, if you're struggling to remember a debt it's possible even if it is yours, it's so old it's unenforceable anyway.

        
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Checking and savings accounts do not necessarily show up as a SP on the main CRAs.  Many instutions using ChexSystems for that, you can also check that for free.  BUt as Revelate says, don't rely on inquiries as things might be old

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback.

Chexsystems report on the way. Hopefully arriving today as I ordered this earlier this week.

Still not seeing anything at all concerning this. Like I said just checked TU report and holding off on EX and EQ for right now. But seems like will have to check these out ASAP.

Question. I called back just now, got someone new, and basically they "do not see anything with those last four account numbers" (frontline rep just like before) or even my name (what the) and I'm about to fax the letter I got that I described all over the phone. Should I even fax this letter?? Any bad from faxing the letter they sent to me?? I'm overly paranoid to anything going on right now lol

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Sometimes honest mistakes occur.  I once banked with a local CU that I found out that someone with the same name as myself was a customer there when her check was deposited into my account.  Called the CU early the next day and got the situation straightened out cause I did not want her to have payments bouncing due to their mistake.  Said bank sent BF a collection notice about an overdraft when he wasn't overdrawn. We have since stopped banking with them.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

All right. ChexSystems arrived yesterday as anticipated and drumroll please... ... there was......

NOTHING! Smiley Very Happy

Just my plain ol usual checking account business. Neat little report that is.

Well, that's all folks, right? Right? Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 10
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Items only stay on Chexsystems for 5 years so if this is older than that it wouldn't show.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.