Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transworld Systems with Old Utility Bill Collections Account

tag
duro12
New Visitor

Transworld Systems with Old Utility Bill Collections Account

Hello everyone. I got a call today from Transworld Systems, informing me they have a debt of $47XX, originating from a utility company (SoCal Edison) from an old address.

They asked for my name and address or social. I provided them with the last 4 of my social, and did not provide them with the address I knew they were calling about, as I no longer live there.

They informed me of the debt, and I told them that it is not possible as I do not live at that address. They put me on a hold, I then gave them my current address and they told me they would put it into dispute, and basically that they would be in contact. At no point did I admit this debt was mine, and I refused their bait to do so.

Lo and behold, after I hang up I check my credit and the account had just popped up this morning, as I had checked my credit last night and it was sitting at 801.

From reading, it seems this is a "absolutely under no circumstances PFD" type company.

This is the first collections account I've ever received, so it's distressing as it obviously tanked my credit instantly.

What would be the next steps here? The debt is from 2022.

There was a user who apparently got in contact with the CEO, got a removal, but did not leave the contact information, which sucks.

Would calling the utility company directly and requesting to pay the debt work to force TSI to remove the inquiry be my best move here? I was going to call them, but wanted confirmation from others here first in case calling the utility company directly and offering to pay would hurt the case irreparably.

I am 100% willing to pay in full if necessary to get this removed, just wondering who to pay, considering TSI is known to not do PFD.

EDIT: I just logged in to the old utility company's website, and the account status shows as "inactive" but still shows an active balance (exactly matching to the penny what TSI quoted). TSI used the verbage that they were trying to collect on a debt on behalf of said company, and it seemed pretty clear the verbage wasn't that they themselves were trying to get paid on that debt. Since it sounds like it just went to collections, it seems like calling the utility company and trying to get the debt paid there would be the best move.

I called the original creditor, and the automated system states that the account has been "assigned" to said collection agency.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Transworld Systems with Old Utility Bill Collections Account

@duro12 wrote:

Hello everyone. I got a call today from Transworld Systems, informing me they have a debt of $47XX, originating from a utility company (SoCal Edison) from an old address.

They asked for my name and address or social. I provided them with the last 4 of my social, and did not provide them with the address I knew they were calling about, as I no longer live there.

They informed me of the debt, and I told them that it is not possible as I do not live at that address. They put me on a hold, I then gave them my current address and they told me they would put it into dispute, and basically that they would be in contact. At no point did I admit this debt was mine, and I refused their bait to do so.

Lo and behold, after I hang up I check my credit and the account had just popped up this morning, as I had checked my credit last night and it was sitting at 801.

From reading, it seems this is a "absolutely under no circumstances PFD" type company.

This is the first collections account I've ever received, so it's distressing as it obviously tanked my credit instantly.

There was a user who apparently got in contact with the CEO, got a removal, but did not leave the contact information, which sucks.

Would calling the utility company directly and requesting to pay the debt work to force TSI to remove the inquiry be my best move here? I was going to call them, but wanted confirmation from others here first in case calling the utility company directly and offering to pay would hurt the case irreparably.

I am 100% willing to pay in full if necessary to get this removed, just wondering who to pay, considering TSI is known to not do PFD.

EDIT: I just logged in to the old utility company's website, and the account status shows as "inactive" but still shows an active balance (exactly matching to the penny what TSI quoted). TSI used the verbage that they were trying to collect on a debt on behalf of said company, and it seemed pretty clear the verbage wasn't that they themselves were trying to get paid on that debt. Since it sounds like it just went to collections, it seems like calling the utility company and trying to get the debt paid there would be the best move.

I called the original creditor, and the automated system states that the account has been "assigned" to said collection agency.

Thanks in advance.

Bout all you can do since the balances match.

Message 2 of 10
7774x
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@duro12 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Bout all you can do since the balances match.

You providng last 4 digits of SSN  got the verification needed  by  CA ...In my credit travelsfrom a under  500 fico .. never provided any personal  info to strangers, by phone ..let alone  a SSN...Now with a collection on CR.. your  scores will tank... need to hopefully  get a PFD after payment ... be persistent ..or spend 7 years with a collection on report...creditors will shy away from approving future  credit .. or giving high interest rates ..

Message 3 of 10
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

It sounds from what you say that you owe the money. Best bet is try to get the debt recalled and pay the utility company direct if possible. If not, just pay it off anyway. A paid Co is better than an unpaid one. Plus since it's only a year old, they can sue and get a judgement.

Message 4 of 10
7774x
Frequent Contributor

@tnhomestead wrote:

It sounds from what you say that you owe the money. Best bet is try to get the debt recalled and pay the utility company direct if possible. If not, just pay it off anyway. A paid Co is better than an unpaid one. Plus since it's only a year old, they can sue and get a judgement.

Creditors will list the Collection as a serious negative  right to day it is EE ed.. In my case  2 years ago ..Cc said  a "recent" Collection , that was 6 years 9 months old was a deciding factor deny credit.. Paid or not ..a biggie mark

Message 5 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@7774xDont know why your quoting everyone. "Creditors will list the Collection as a serious negative right to day it is EE ed.. In my case 2 years ago ..Cc said a "recent" Collection , that was 6 years 9 months old was a deciding factor deny credit.. Paid or not ..a biggie mark"

Creditors just send info to the CRA's. They dont put "serious" with it. CRA/FICO algorithms calculate it as a negative. Its list for 7 yrs until the fall off date. It isnt EE'd.

Message 6 of 10
7774x
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@7774xDont know why your quoting everyone. "Creditors will list the Collection as a serious negative right to day it is EE ed.. In my case 2 years ago ..Cc said a "recent" Collection , that was 6 years 9 months old was a deciding factor deny credit.. Paid or not ..a biggie mark"

Creditors just send info to the CRA's. They dont put "serious" with it. CRA/FICO algorithms calculate it as a negative. Its list for 7 yrs until the fall off date. It isnt EE'd.

When you apply for credit, having a collection on CR ... the denying creditor  will say it is  a "serious past delinquency"..as  1 of the reasons for credit denial.. It is a common creditor comment

Message 7 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@7774x wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

When you apply for credit, having a collection on CR ... the denying creditor  will say it is  a "serious past delinquency"..as  1 of the reasons for credit denial.. It is a common creditor comment

Yep. Just a comment for the neg.

Message 8 of 10
bass_playr
Established Contributor

Hang on, is that $47.00 and change?  I do believe that some of the scoring models don't consider debts under $100.  Even so, your best bet would be, as Firemedic said, to contact the original creditor and ask them if they would recall the debt from TransWorld in exchange fo ryou paying it in full.  Often a creditor will do this just to get the account paid.

Message 9 of 10
7774x
Frequent Contributor

@bass_playr wrote:

Hang on, is that $47.00 and change?  I do believe that some of the scoring models don't consider debts under $100.  Even so, your best bet would be, as Firemedic said, to contact the original creditor and ask them if they would recall the debt from TransWorld in exchange fo ryou paying it in full.  Often a creditor will do this just to get the account paid.

Poster says 47xx  .. a 4 digit utility bill ?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.