Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trick worked for me! But now what?

tag
RedHead1
Valued Member

Trick worked for me! But now what?

The shopping cart trick worked for me! (use search box to see what I'm talking about) I limited myself to 2 cards, but I got VS and Ann Taylor.  I'm starting my road to recovery and the lower utilization percentage plus more opportunity to build good credit will help, but I'm not perfect. So...my question is:  What tricks does this community have to limiting your access to cards? Freeze it? Safe deposit box? What do you recommend?

Starting Score: 464 October 2012
Current Score: 544 (+80 points whoo hoo!)
Goal Score: 600

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Trick worked for me! But now what?

Gardening.

You let the accounts you have age and do not apply for more credit.  Will power.

Message 2 of 4
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

@RedHead1 wrote:

The shopping cart trick worked for me! (use search box to see what I'm talking about) I limited myself to 2 cards, but I got VS and Ann Taylor.  I'm starting my road to recovery and the lower utilization percentage plus more opportunity to build good credit will help, but I'm not perfect. So...my question is:  What tricks does this community have to limiting your access to cards? Freeze it? Safe deposit box? What do you recommend?

Limiting your access to cards?  Do you mean- sort of as in "hiding" your cards from yourself?  Smiley Happy

I used to keep all my store cards in a separate wallet, and that wallet would stay home in the safe.  When I "needed" to use them- i.e. you want to get someone's bday gift at Ann Taylor- then I'd take the wallet with me, buy the gift, and put it back in the safe. Once my willpower increased, I kept the cards in my wallet, but kept them wrapped in a picture of my "goal."  For instance, if I wanted a new car or a new home then a magazine clip or internet printout of what I wanted I sort of wrapped around the cards (sort of like some people wrap things in the receipt).  This way, when I was going to use the card, I remembered my goal and always had that second or 2 to ask myself if the purchase was worth it.  I'm one of those who need visual cues, so this worked for me.  You just need to find what motivates & works for you! Smiley Happy

Good luck!!

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 3 of 4
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Don't carry them in your wallet. Train your mind to think of these cards for what they are best for, improving your credit, NOT extra money to spend on something you don't need. If you would be buying something at either place and would be paying cash for, fine, use the cards, then take the cash and pay it ASAP. Go on line and pay it, don't wait for the bill, it tends to slip your mind that way. It helps your credit, and to keep them open, to use them occasionally, but you have to discipline yourself.

Go walk around the block, everytime you think about using one of the cards. Think it through.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.