Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to build up credit to qualify for FHA home loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to build up credit to qualify for FHA home loan

I'm attempting to rebuild my credit in order to qualify for a home loan. My spouse has good credit (730 mid FICO) but we can qualify for a home that we'd like with both our incomes combined.

My current scores:

Transunion FAKO: 595

Equifax FAKO: 590

Experian FICO: 564 (this should update on the 20th with a higher score)

My student loans used to be in default. They have now been rehabbed and I'm just waiting for Experian to rescore.

I currently have ~$20k in student loans and am on an income based repayment plan of $0 monthly. These are currently in good standing.

Goods:

- I have a Capital One Quicksilver One with an $800 credit line and no lates. I've had this card for about a year.

- I am an authorised user on my spouse's CC's. In total our utilization is under 5% with no lates. My spouse's CC is my oldest account.

Baddies:

- $145 Verizon bill in collections. It was opened 10/15

- $64 medical bill in collections. It was opened 9/15

- $91 medical bill in collections. It was opened 10/15

- $277 utility bill in collections. This bill is past the SOL and I've disputed it. It keeps getting removed from my credit report when I dispute and then they put it back on as though it were a new debt. I've reported this to the Consumber Finance Protection Bureau.

- $1,173 medical bill in collections. It was opened 3/12.

- $284 medical bill in collections. It was opened 1/11.

- 186 medical bill in collections. It was opened 10/14.

I'm considering sending out debt validation letters and attempting to work with the OC on my $64 medical bill and perhaps Verizon.

With all of this information, what would you suggest be my next step?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to build up credit to qualify for FHA home loan

While the utility bill might be out of SOL for a lawsuit it can still be reported on your report.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been able to get medical collections off by paying the OC and having them recall it from the CA. The same methodology could be applied to other collections as well.
Message 3 of 9
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've been able to get medical collections off by paying the OC and having them recall it from the CA. The same methodology could be applied to other collections as well.

Yes, this advice works.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also suggest buying your 3 scores from myFico. These will show your mortgage score as well which may be higher (or lower) than your Fico8 score.
Message 5 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with the orevious posters. Try getting those collections kff by PFD kr GW if paid, as well as getting your true scores to see where you stand.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doubtful you will be able to work with OC on the older medical bills. Google whychat hippa process and contact him he will personally help you with the medical bills.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other thing I wanted to mention is that even though your student loan payments are $0, FHA will factor 1% of your balance for a payment and include in your debt ratio.  That really has nothing to do with your credit, but wasn't sure if you knew about that.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm jsut looking into that now.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.