Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to fix my credit with no luck😢

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to fix my credit with no luck😢

So I started this journey to try and fix my credit after my fiancé loosing his job and myself going on an unpaid maternity leave, since then I had incurred 2 delinquent collection accounts. I have 9 credit cards all together all close to being maxed out ( utilization is 98% for all cards) I also have an auto loan that is always paid on time. I have a 99% payment rate because even if I pay the minimum I always make my payments. So here’s the problem I recently decided to pay off 4 of my cards in full attempting to lower my utilization which has since backfired on me because not even a week after making the payments 1 of the cards with one of my higher limits completely closed my account with the explanation “we ran your credit and due to your revolving account high balances and your collections we can no longer extend credit to you” and my other card that I paid off going from a $600 credit limit to a $100 credit limit! I am feeling so discouraged right now.. what should I do now?? Please help!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to fix my credit with no luck😢

You are being balance-chased. It’s not uncommon in this situation, with all of your cards very high in utilization. Unfortunately this may continue as you pay down other cards. The upside is when you have them paid down, those which aren’t closed may remain at low limits for awhile, but establishing a pattern of responsible low-percentage usage and good payments can get your lenders to increase your limits again in time.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback it’s just so discouraging when you think your doing the right thing and then this kind of thing happens. I’ll keep hanging in there let’s see how things go
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the closed account and decreased credit limit. That is definitely discouraging, but as ImTheDevil said continuing to pay down your accounts and then giving it time will in the end help you get back to where you want to be. Again, really sorry. Rebuilding is certainly not a day at the beach! Sigh. But you WILL get there! 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the encouraging words! Yes it is so difficult because 2 steps forward always lead you 10 steps back ! I’m going to just keep paying them and see how it goes. I’m just not sure about paying off the collection account is it going to help my score or no ?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the encouraging words! Yes it is so difficult because 2 steps forward always lead you 10 steps back ! I’m going to just keep paying them and see how it goes. I’m just not sure about paying off the collection account is it going to help my score or no ?

Try for a PFD.. if you can get the collections deleted and keep making your payments on time.. once you get that Utilization under control you will be in a really good place credit wise. you are doing really good keeping your payments on time and paying down the cards.. even if they balance chase you, you will come out the other end of this nicely.

Hopefully you can get them to delete the collections.. but if they don't then no I would not pay them until they come around to the idea, or until they sell it to someone else who will.. just my opinion tho. GL

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, yes I’m going to try that and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice! 😀
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

And remember, even if you’re balance chased and end up with very low limits and/or some cards closed, your payment history and UTI will be in great shape, allowing you to likely be approved for better cards at that time.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A strategy you can try to hopefully not get balance-chased is instead of paying off one card in full, pay all your cards down. You want to get all cards down below 88.9%, then down below 68.9%, then 48.9%, 28.9%, and finally under 8.9%. It may not always work, but paying them in increments rather than one lump payment might keep them from balance-chasing you. Making one big payment after being maxed out (anything above 88.9% is considered maxed) can sometimes raise a red flag & cause them to notice you. GL!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks yes I thought of that unfortunately after I paid off the first two but I am going to try that for the rest. Thanks!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.