cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get CC after 10 years of not having one!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get CC after 10 years of not having one!

At the age of 20 I got a high dollar Credit Card that I used throughout my 20's. I was dumb and clueless to how credit worked so there were instant cash withdrawls and Minimum Payments made. Through out the time of having the card it changed to a few different banks. I ended up with a debt consolidation account to get it paid off, from which I finally did about 8 years ago with a lump sum settlment. About 2 years prior to finally paying it off I felt I was done with credit and went on thinking that it's a trap and if I don't have the cash for something then I don't need it.

Im older now at 42 years old and have been working for myself doing custom Iron work. I'm realizing now that without credit in California I pretty much have a constant struggle if I want to get a work Truck, shop Tools, Supplies, Emergencies, etc. or even just to take a weekend Vacation!

I spoke to a rep at my Chase Bank and they told me I was eligible for a Freedom Chase card 0% interest first 6 months and that I should have no problem getting one. But when we ran the application, they said I was denied becuase I had previously had a CC through Chase that went into debt collection and finalized 8 years ago, which was the same card I had got at 20 years old. Because of the time frame of not having one they asked if I had filed Bankruptcy, which I did not.

The agent then reffered me to this site for guidance on how to get me back on the Credit track. Now I am in need of one and not sure which is the best CC to apply for to get me started again.

One issue that Im concerned about is my yearly taxes. I'm a few years behind on filing due to what I still owe and am making payments on. So Im worried if that will affect me getting a new CC.

I currently have no Debt which I thought was a good way to live life. But I'm still working on building my savings from being self employeed and have no safety cushion if something happens from work or more materials are needed. I don't want to be that guy to go back to the client and have to ask for more money, I consider that bad business!

Any insight or suggestion on which card to apply for would be greatly appreciated! Thank You.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trying to get CC after 10 years of not having one!

If you're good on that chase freedom there's no reason at all you couldn't check the prequalify link at cap1 or citi (maybe). I have 3 cap1's and have a lot of good to say about them

Starting TU: 536
Starting EQ: 573
Goal: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 23
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

Oh and barclays

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You for the response.

As for the Chase Card, the Rep said I was eligible which was pretty much to get me to sit down and apply. But after the application process, they said I was denied due to my previous card being from Chase Bank which went into a debt consolidation account. But it has since been paid off for the past 8 years.

Should I try applying for more then one card with Cap1 and Barclay's?

Or only one at a time?

What is the time frame for a confirmation of an application?

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know your actual fico 08 scores?
Do you have any positive trade lines (like a mortgage or auto loan) in the past 10 years?

Try the capital one pre qualification link and see if any offers come up, not just recommendations, but with actual congratulations. Let us know what they are.

Barclays is going to want 6-12 months payment history. Save that for later.

You already took the hp for the Freedom, call the back door number and try to recon it. Chase will automatically deny for the baddie with them so you'll have to recon your way into on.

Once you know your scores, come back and post them so we can help further.
Message 5 of 23
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 is your best bet. Good call on the 6-12 month on barclays. I was thinking of what I'd want haha

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been years since I checked my Score, is there a way to check it online for free?

I just applied for the Cap1 and it said I was approved for $500 and will receive it within 7-10 days, which is better then nothing.

I have no loans at all. I have paid cash for vehicles and have never purchased a home, have been renting.  

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can sign up the for 7 day trial for Credit Check Total for $1.  Typically if you call to cancel before the 7 days are up you can get the monthly fee for half off if you were interested in monitoring.  

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thank you.

Message 9 of 23
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on cap1.

Before going app crazy go to CCT as stated above. Check scores and go from there. Maybe be content for a few reporting dates then try for something a bit nicer.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.