Did you mean: 

Trying to pay back more debt than I can afford

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to pay back more debt than I can afford

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Long time lurker first time poster here! I am trying to pay off some debt that I owe but I need advice.

I am currently in about 40k in debt
17600.00 which is a car loan for Exeter finance in which I pay 537.31 a month I pay early so a majority can go to the loan.

172.35 for car insurance

1266.00 for furniture which I pay 80.00 a month

2963 which is for Navy Federal credit card I pay 80 a month for this.

I owe 600 to capital which I pay 100 a month.

And I pay 768 a month in rent.

16000 for another Navy Federal credit card...learning my lesson from letting dear old dad use my credit...This one I cant afford to pay.

My auto loan term is 6 years I'm hoping with making payments before the due date can help me lower the interest taken...  I don't understand what you mean? Are you paying extra principal  or are you a month ahead in payments?  Not sure the interest aspect of this?

I make 807.25 a check after taxes

I'm deep in the water with no boat so any advice I would so appreciate!!

So you make 807 a week correct?  So after your insurance and car payment and rent , you have 1750 monthly for debt and other expenses.  Do you have cell phone,  utilities etc? If your dad racked up that balance,  is he not able/willing to pay?

If you can list all your expenses including food/gas, maybe we can get a better picture on the best route to take to get this debt paid down.

Hello!!! I get paid Bi-weekly ! My dad after he racked up the debt he fell off the face of the earth I have no clue where he is...Both Navy Federal cards are already closed and have been closed since 2017...My rent of 768 includes utilities in the rent price...I pay 85.00 a month for my phone as well. I no longer have internet cause I didnt see a need to pay 80 a month for something I'm not home to use plus my phone is unlimited data so I use that regardless...

Exeter finance allows me 8 extensions for the life of my loan so I was thinking of extending till December and using the extra 1076 to pay off one of the debts...I pay 23 days early on my car loan so 469 goes to the principle (just got off the phone with Exeter)

Message 21 of 24
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Well I take it all was well for a while. You had 2 NFCU cards over 20k. Nice car. I am sensing your a younger adult from the drivers license info. I'm so sorry your father did you like that. Wish I knew him. We'd have some words. Man I wish there was a way to make this easy. Its kinda like stuck between a rock and a hard place. Just from your original post and my oringinal responce. It might be to only way out with a fresh start. Even if you decide to look to go that way. Some things will have to fall to the wayside to get a lawyer. The disposible income just isnt there. You can recover again and many lessons were learned from this chapter in your life. Can't get any worse. Its time to work on the present and build for the future. Thats all I can say really. As I said earlier. You'd be in better shape in less time than trying to pay all this back and have a new life debt free and never return again to what would be in the rear mirror soon. Good Luck on whichever route you chose.

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Well I take it all was well for a while. You had 2 NFCU cards over 20k. Nice car. I am sensing your a younger adult from the drivers license info. I'm so sorry your father did you like that. Wish I knew him. We'd have some words. Man I wish there was a way to make this easy. Its kinda like stuck between a rock and a hard place. Just from your original post and my oringinal responce. It might be to only way out with a fresh start. Even if you decide to look to go that way. Some things will have to fall to the wayside to get a lawyer. The disposible income just isnt there. You can recover again and many lessons were learned from this chapter in your life. Can't get any worse. Its time to work on the present and build for the future. Thats all I can say really. As I said earlier. You'd be in better shape in less time than trying to pay all this back and have a new life debt free and never return again to what would be in the rear mirror soon. Good Luck on whichever route you chose.

Yeah I just turned 23 like 2 weeks ago...If I file for Bankruptcy would that mean they take the car I'm still paying off as well? I am only curious cause there is like 0 public transit in my town and everything is spread super out there. So many choices so many decisons... I feel so blah about this whole situation I'm in...

Message 23 of 24
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Like i said. It's your choice. Look at it as a scale. Its leaning more towards financial freedom. At 23 man you got your whole life ahead of you. Some mistakes were made and lessons learned. No I'm not going give a lecture. Its a chapter in life I'm sure you wont repeat it again. Families members will take advantage of other family members more than friends would. Sad to say. The car can be included in BK. As long as you pay they cant take it away from you. Unless its a credit union loan. They work differently. Then you can go find a car that you can afford to get you from point A to B that fits your budget. Then turn in the keys. Then its time to start saving for your future (yes retirement) and emergencies if something should happen. Once you see a savings account grow you get more excited to put more in. Yes it true. NFCU will be toast forever until you pay them back if you chose to years from now. It will take time to rebuild. But it can be done. Read my disclaimer below. Its for other to see what can be done afterwards.

So at 33 there will be no BK on your record. All of this will be gone from your reports. And what will be left? Probably a pretty good credit rating with nice things because you know now how it works. I filed at 55 due to taxes and wanted to keep my retirement. IRS doesnt play. Wer'e here to help you along the way all the way thru till the end. But I believe its time to get some free consults from local lawyers and time to do a 180 and start off fresh. Again. Sorry it had to go this way. But its for the best now and for the future. Good Luck!

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.