cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to rebuild credit

tag
oaolivas

Trying to rebuild credit

I am currently trying to rebuild my credit after having a few baddies about 4 or 5 years ago while I was in college. My current EXP score is 625. I had 3 deliquent accounts, a checking account with  a negative balance, a medical bill and an HSBC charged off account. I paid off all 3 accounts earlier this month and no longer have any outstanding balances. I only found out about these as I am applying for a home mortgage loan through NACA and they brought this to my attention. I don't currently have any open lines of credit, I only have my student loans which I have always paid for on time (and am in the process of consolidating). Since I am trying to rebuild my credit I applied for an apple barclays card (seeing they were good with recons for people with my score) and was denied because of lack of current credit (even after recon). Given that that application required a hard inquiry I am hesitant to apply for any other credit cards, but am in need of one to actually start to rebuild my credit. I was previously recommended to look into secured credit cards.

Is this option the most likely for me to start rebuilding?

Will applying for a secured CC also give me another hard inquiry?

How long should I wait before I apply for another credit card?

Do secured CC look good on your credit report?

Any other advice on rebuilding credit is most definitely welcome.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Trying to rebuild credit

If you haven't tried sending Good Will letters since you paid them, you might want to try that.

I saw a post where they had fico scores in the 650s and they got a mortgage with 3 and quater percent.  I don't know how much points you could gain if you GW'd, but I am sure it will help.

Message 2 of 17
unusuallyconfused
Regular Contributor

There's two ways you should approach this, in my opinion:

First, you should absolutely attempt to get the negatives deleted from your credit report(s). However, the negative balance in your checking account PROBABLY is not a credit report issue more than it's a CHEXSYSTEMS issue.

You're going to have to get a copy of your CHEXSYSTEMS report to first, verify that the negative was reported by your ex-bank to CHEXSYSTEMS. If it's listed (and you'd know already because chances are you'd be denied a new checking or savings account), chances are excellent that if you contacted your old bank (since so much time has passed since the issue first arose) they would probably have the negative deleted from your CHEXSYSTEMS report.

Then you're going to have to get all three copies of your credit files if you haven't done so already (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax). You might find that not all of your derogatory accounts are listed on all three - so you could, in theory, be working with one or more credit files that are actually clean.

Second, if you're debts are paid, use every legal means necessary to get thos negatives wiped off - you can try goodwill letters, edited.

So while you're attempting to delete derogatories, look into building up new tradelines (new lines of credit).

You've already got you positive student loan history - that's a plus. 

Yes, consider a good secured credit card (there is NOTHING in your credit files that would indicate it was a secured card or not). Don't be fooled by this - nobody will know that your credit card is secured. 

Check out the forums, there are lots of suggstions as to what's the "best" secured credit card.

Obviously, yes, consider a sub-prime card or two. You've got to start somewhere and there's NO SHAME in getting a $300 unsecured card from First Premier (keep in mind fees are high and expensive card to own) or Credit One or something along those lines - pay the Piper for a year with those cards and then ditch them once you've built up history.

CREDIT IS ABOUT HOW YOU MANAGE IT - it's not about what card you own, it's not a status symbol. So go for what you can get.

As for the hard inquires? Of course this will ding your score further, initially. But you're score is going to get any higher doing what you're doing now. So roll the dice and take the hard inquiry hits (which will loose it's effect after 6 months and won't factor into your score after 12 months anyway)...

Think long term and no short term. 

1. Work on clearing out the negatives.

2. Maintain on time payments with your student loans

3. Research and plan carefully as to what two or three lines of credit you want to open right now (secured card? sub-prime? shoot for a GECRB store card?).

Like I mentioned, there's going to be a lot of advice thrown around and I'm just suggesting, in general, to do your research, outline a plan of attack and then go for it.

As of February 2013 I had NO CREDIT and I had 3 negatives on my credit files. By April 2013 (2 months later), I had opened and maintained what you see in my signature AND I wiped out all my negatives from my credit reports. I was aggressive in handingly my credit issues and as of almost June 2013 everything seems to have worked out well...

...so it's very possible to move very quickly on fixing your credit if you just do it and not get confused and bogged down by all the different opinions and advice. The important thing? Do something. Anything!

USAA Rewards VISA (7,500 - 03/2013) / DiscoverIT (6500 - 03/2013) / Cap One Platinum MC (2750 - 03/2013) / Credit One Platinum VISA (750 - 03/2013) / First Premier Bank MC (300 - 02/2013) / FingerHut/WEBBANK (5200.00 - 02/2013) / Victoria's Secret/Comenity (1500 - 03/2013) / PayPal Smart Connect/GECRB (2900 - 03/2013) / Lowe's/GECRB (2800 - 03/2013) / Amazon.com/GECRB (4500 - 03/2013) / Chevron Texaco/GECRB (1950 - 03/2013) / J.C. Penney/GECRB (2150 - 02/2013) / Target (750 - 07/2013) / Abercrombie & Fitch/Comenity (1850 - 07/2013) / CareCredit/GECRB (4500 - 08/2013) / DCU Visa (2000 - 11/2013) / NFCU Sig cashRewards Visa (7000 - 11/2013) - MilitaryStar/Chase (4700 /12/2013)

Message 3 of 17
oaolivas

@ccnewcc wrote:

If you haven't tried sending Good Will letters since you paid them, you might want to try that.

I saw a post where they had fico scores in the 650s and they got a mortgage with 3 and quater percent.  I don't know how much points you could gain if you GW'd, but I am sure it will help.

I haven't sent the good will letters yet but am in the process of finishing them up. 

Message 4 of 17
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Sending a good will for the medical should be easy to get removed. They were my easiest!

A good place for a secured card with a low amount:

https://www.sdfcu.org/join

SDFCU 250.00 min for a secured card, they dont pull a credit report and they report to all 3.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 5 of 17
oaolivas

You're going to have to get a copy of your CHEXSYSTEMS report to first, verify that the negative was reported by your ex-bank to CHEXSYSTEMS. If it's listed (and you'd know already because chances are you'd be denied a new checking or savings account), chances are excellent that if you contacted your old bank (since so much time has passed since the issue first arose) they would probably have the negative deleted from your CHEXSYSTEMS report.

Then you're going to have to get all three copies of your credit files if you haven't done so already (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax). You might find that not all of your derogatory accounts are listed on all three - so you could, in theory, be working with one or more credit files that are actually clean.

Since then I applied for a couple checking accounts with Wells Fargo and Capital One and was not denied nor was there any indication of my old bank's balance so I don't believe they reported it to CHEXSYSTEMS.

I do have all 3 copies of my credit files and indeed all 3 bureaus have all the account mentioned above so it is something I do (and am in the process of) need to clean up.

Second, if you're debts are paid, use every legal means necessary to get thos negatives wiped off - you can try goodwill letters, you can try straight up filing diputes with the credit bureaus and making your old debt holders verify the information (and if they can't meet the requirements of the law, the items will get deleted). Most here will tell you to go the goodwill letter route; I advise using every legal means at your disposal, however. 

If the good will letters don't work; given the fact that I've paid off all the outstanding debt, what could I state in my dispute?

As of February 2013 I had NO CREDIT and I had 3 negatives on my credit files. By April 2013 (2 months later), I had opened and maintained what you see in my signature AND I wiped out all my negatives from my credit reports. I was aggressive in handingly my credit issues and as of almost June 2013 everything seems to have worked out well...

...so it's very possible to move very quickly on fixing your credit if you just do it and not get confused and bogged down by all the different opinions and advice. The important thing? Do something. Anything!

Congratulations! I agree completely, the important thing is to do something and I have at least started the ball rolling. Hopefully I will acheive similar results Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
oaolivas

@ktl72455 wrote:

Sending a good will for the medical should be easy to get removed. They were my easiest!

SDFCU 250.00 min for a secured card, they dont pull a credit report and they report to all 3.

Awesome! That's good to hear. I will definitely take a look at sdfcu! Thanks for the info

Message 7 of 17
oaolivas

ktl72455 wrote:

Forgot to ask, about removing the medical inquiries, what do you mention in your good will letter? Did you mail these letters to the hospital asking them (via usual good will letter ettiquite) to kindly remove these from your credit report?

Message 8 of 17
qd
Regular Contributor

I would consider a capital one card before going for FP or CreditOne.  I know I got approved for their rewards card with low limit when my scores were low 600's.  They are sub prime but have fewer fees.

Message 9 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, you are in the middle of the mortgage process. Are you willing to delay [the mortgage] for the next 6-12 months?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.