Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to settle with CU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to settle with CU

Hi there ... I have an CC account with a CU.  The balance is over $30k at this point and I am well past 6 months past due with them.  I have tried very hard to settle this account with funds borrowed from family and friends but I have not been successful in getting anyone there to accept or counter an offer.  Has anyone else been able to settle with a CU?  If so, how did it go?  

I am in genuine need of help and this one credit union is very hard to negotiate with. 

I felt this was better than filing for ch7 or ch 13.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to settle with CU

First of all which CU is this? There are many of them and each one has their own processes. What I can say though is that it is highly unlikely that you will be able to settle for less than owed with a CU as they have members in charge and not investors. If the CU takes a loss then people like you will get to suffer. If anything they will want every penny back even if they have to wait some time. Also CU's usually have a cross collateral clause where any assets in the CU can be used to pay your debt without asking you including the checking and share account. Also many CU's will not take kindly to being left unpaid.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.