Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions regarding disputing for a newbie

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two questions regarding disputing for a newbie

No I just thought they needed to be off since I am paying on the consolidated loan now? I have no idea but there I go assuming again. 

I have a car I paid off too. This is still on there as well, should I leave this alone as well? 

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok that makes sense now. I wish I would've known that in the first place.😭

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok I will leave them alone. I guess I just thought I needed a clear credit report, so I had the wrong idea. 

I do have one cc I'm paying down, an at&t bill I'm paying down and an OB bill I didn't realize I missed last year after birthing twins. Other than that, I have the student loans. I will leave the loans alone. Do you think it would be wise to contact the collectors to confirm they will remove this before I finish paying them off. Or try a gw after?

thin credit files appear more risky. The thicker and older your credit profile is (positive info), the better you appear to lenders, as long as your scores support it. 

Leave those old SLs alone. They are boosting you up. It is the CAs that are bogging you down in addition to updating the info and/or reporting monthly (if that is the case).

Thick files are good, be glad! It seems counter-intuitive, but you don't want an empty file just for the sake of ease of reading.

Good luck!

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also sorry I came off strong too! I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm also sorry I came off strong too! I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you

no worries!

Inwould leave the car loan alone as well if it is positive info behind it.

Some people here have great advice regarding medical collections that can help you with this - or at least guide you in the right direction.

You've got this! It sounds like it is mostly these medical collections?

CC utilization is another thing, but it sounds like you are also steadily working on it! 

Oh and congrats on having twins!

Message 25 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok I will leave them alone. I guess I just thought I needed a clear credit report, so I had the wrong idea. 

You do need a clear report -- the definition of "clear" in the credit world is 'free of derogatory information'We also use the word "clean" - meaning the same..   

"Dirty" means you have negative items on your reports -- so you, at this moment in time, have a dirty report.

Bottom line: You want all negative accounts removed and all positive accounts to remain.  

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you think it would be wise to contact the collectors to confirm they will remove this before I finish paying them off. Or try a gw after?

Are these the medical collections you're currently disputing, or something different? 

Medical collections are generally the easiest to get removed.  If your disputes come back as verified and you decide to pay them, then try to pay the medical facility directly and ask that they recall the debt from the collection agency -- this will terminate their collection authority and prompt removal of the collection account from your reports.   If the medical facility refuses to accept payment directly, and refers you back to the collection agency, then fine - contact the collection agency and offer a PFD -- payment in exchange for deletion - they tend to agree to this without much effort required.

If you are referring to non-medical collections - it would help if you provided the name of the collection agencies.  Some are known to do PFDs as a matter of policy, others are known to reject such offers but may sometimes respond to a goodwill request after payment is made. 

And Congrats on the birth of your twins!!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you it makes alot more sense now!

Message 27 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No I just thought they needed to be off since I am paying on the consolidated loan now? I have no idea but there I go assuming again. 

I have a car I paid off too. This is still on there as well, should I leave this alone as well? 

Yes. Same rules apply for all old accounts -- be they credit cards (revolving, charge, secured/unsecured), loans (student, mortgage, auto, personal), lines of credit (CLOCs, LOCs, HELOCs) --  if it's positive, leave it.  

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 28 of 29
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you file a disppute with a CRA, the CRA must forward a copy to the furnisher of the disputed information, and the furnisher must respond back to the CRA within the 30-day dispute period.

However, the furnisher could also, upon receipt of a copy of the dispute, choose to alternately delete the entire account, which obviates (dismisses) the dispute since the disputed information is no longer in the CRA files or the consumer's credit report.

I would speculate that that the deletion occured as a result of the furnisher reporting a deletion to the CRA as opposed to the CRA having deleted based on resolution of the dispute.

Collections are a common example where, regardless of the reasons provided in the dispute, the debt collector may, upon receipt of the dispute, report deletion.

CRA policy requires a debt collector to delete their reported collection if their collection authority has been terminated, such as by sale of the debt to another debt collector.

If, upon receipt of the dispute, the debt collector thus may report deletion to the CRA, which obviates any need to investigte and repond to any dispute.

That would thus remove the collection from CRA records.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.