cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two student loan questions, help a lady out? :)

tag
memorysketch
Valued Member

Two student loan questions, help a lady out? :)

Hi everyone! Thanks for peeking in Smiley Happy

I'm finally acting on getting my CR in tip top shape, but I'm a little unsure of what to do with some student loan TLs. I bring you pictures to better illustrate my ineptitude!

The first two are from Citibank. For 3500 and 3167 respectively, these two student loans were traded before they were closed. However, they sit on my CR looking like this:

Is there anything I can do to get rid of these ugly things? Will they fall off? I think they're actually Sallie Mae's now - and guess what else is reporting on my report!

THIS IS. There are 9 Sallie Mae lines, and all of them look like this. Every. Single. Last. One. Of. Them. And I don't know what to do about it. I'm running out of hair to pull. This doesn't make sense to me. My loans are currently deferred, and I've got a forberance keeping my accounts up to date. That 90 day late shouldn't be there! It makes my brain hurt! Woman Sad What would y'all suggest on this? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Started: 581 (October 2012 ) ♥ Walmart MyFico: 622 (May 2013)
First Goal: 650 (reached April 2013) ♥ Current Goal: 700 (Jan 2014)
Currently in the garden! App free 'till November 2013! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Two student loan questions, help a lady out? :)

Start with the simplest method and then work your way from their.  Try some GWs for the baddies and see were that gets you.  Then move up the ladder a bit and see if you can find someone who will help.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
bahbahd
Established Contributor

From all of your first delenquency dates appearing the same, I'd guess that you have not been in school since the end of summer '10 and you missed the window to defer before your grace period was up. Luckily Citibank sold your loans before you defaulted on them. Were you in school in Spring '11? If you were not in school, then the only real way to get these off would be through Good Will letters asking they be updated. You might even just ask Citibank to remove their tradelines completely. If you were in school at the same institution then you can prove you were in school to them in Spring '11 and they might update the accounts for you. 

Message 3 of 10
flash2093
Valued Member

For the 90 day late, check your bank account records for proof of payment in May of 2011. Were you in defferment in 2011?

Starting Score:(11/2012) EQ 611
Previous Scores:(2/12) EQ 616 - (3/15) EQ 628 - (3/28) EQ 636 - (4/5) EQ 639
3 Current Scores 6/1/13: EX 650 EQ 654 TU 681
Goal Score:660

Message 4 of 10
memorysketch
Valued Member

@flash2093 wrote:

For the 90 day late, check your bank account records for proof of payment in May of 2011. Were you in defferment in 2011?

I've been in deferment indefinitely since I left school to care for my disabled mom (I plan on going back sometime this year, or next.) The stress got to be too much to handle at the time. There was a lot of "welllll, can't do it this month, I'll double pay next!" which never happened so I freaked and talked to Sallie Mae. The few times I have paid were fairly recent so there aren't bank account records for that time period.

Message 5 of 10
memorysketch
Valued Member

@bahbahd wrote:

From all of your first delenquency dates appearing the same, I'd guess that you have not been in school since the end of summer '10 and you missed the window to defer before your grace period was up. Luckily Citibank sold your loans before you defaulted on them. Were you in school in Spring '11? If you were not in school, then the only real way to get these off would be through Good Will letters asking they be updated. You might even just ask Citibank to remove their tradelines completely. If you were in school at the same institution then you can prove you were in school to them in Spring '11 and they might update the accounts for you. 

Yeah. I took some time off because my mom needed me, and we're just now getting back into position where I feel like I can breathe some and hopefully finish my degree. Smiley Happy I wasn't in school in 2011 or 2012.

My best bet is probably good will letters across the board.

Message 6 of 10
flash2093
Valued Member

Yeah, I would send out GW letters to the creditor explaining your situation. YMMV. You can also try emailing the ombudsman, which is really like a third party, but they can actually help through their contacts.

Starting Score:(11/2012) EQ 611
Previous Scores:(2/12) EQ 616 - (3/15) EQ 628 - (3/28) EQ 636 - (4/5) EQ 639
3 Current Scores 6/1/13: EX 650 EQ 654 TU 681
Goal Score:660

Message 7 of 10
memorysketch
Valued Member

@flash2093 wrote:

Yeah, I would send out GW letters to the creditor explaining your situation. YMMV. You can also try emailing the ombudsman, which is really like a third party, but they can actually help through their contacts.

I have never even heard of an ombudsman! Googling it gives me a general idea, but confuses me a little more, haha. Would the school have one? Or the loan company?

Message 8 of 10
lae_lae
Regular Contributor

Usually the loan company....here is the link for Sallie Mae Customer Advocate https://www.salliemae.com/about/management/advocate/default.aspx

Message 9 of 10
memorysketch
Valued Member

@lae_lae wrote:

Usually the loan company....here is the link for Sallie Mae Customer Advocate https://www.salliemae.com/about/management/advocate/default.aspx

Thank you so much! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.