Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Settled a Charge Off, 62 Point Increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: Settled a Charge Off, 62 Point Increase

A little bit of good news and an update I wanted to share. I have good credit in sight!

Summary/TL;DR: I made a post a while back in regards to settling a charged-off account with Chase. I paid it off early (agreed on $1,000 / orignally owed $5,200), and a few weeks later when my credit updated, all three bureaus showed a 62 point increase. Stoked because this puts me in a much better range for a mortgage application and with a few more payments on my remaining cards to lower my utilization, 720+ is in sight.

Longer Story: I had gone through a nasty divorce over 3 years ago. I had 4 credit cards. The Chase Card had the highest minimum ($200 +/- a month), and my other three cards all added up to around $200 +/- month.

Didn't notice my ex had charged a lot on the card right after she moved out (it was saved online on her computer). We "shared" it but it was only in my name. Spoke with my lawyer about it, but aside from paying her more money to pursue legal action, which I didn't have, I ultimately let it get charged off while keeping the remaining cards in good status (it made more sense to pay 3 at $200/mo rather and let 1 get charged off than vice versa).

Anyone who has gone through a divorce know how it drains your financials. I had to max out the remaining cards to pay my lawyer, borrow from 401k, and literally slash expenses, and live off bare minimum.

Fortunately, everything slowly got better. Remarried, paid off my lawyer, my child support got cut in half (originally, my ex [who worked under the table] reported no income for the first year, so I had to pay the max rate which was insane).

When life was back to normal, I made  goal earlier this year to attack my credit. I was at 100% utilization, and that charge off was lingering, and I was dwelling in the mid-500's. Called Chase, explained what happened, they offered me a settlement of $1,000 (it was at $5,200).

After getting my utilization down, and settling, I am now cruising at high-600s. Also have a bonus coming in this week, and can pay a huge chunk towards my remaining cards to get my utilization down even further.

It sucks going through bad credit. I finally feel I can breathe a little bit. It's taken a lot of work, cutting expenses, and just busting my tail, but this increase, as well as the steady increases from the utilization down, has been worth it. I hope others who have gone or going through similar experiences know there is a light at the end of the tunnel if you stay the course.

Thanks for this board for the advice, and just wanted to share a bit of good news.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: UPDATE: Settled a Charge Off, 62 Point Increase

Nice. Util sure can kill a score. Congrats on the rebound.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great recovery OP, always nice to see someone able to climb and claw their way back!
Message 3 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!

Thank you for sharing your story. These are words of encouragement for other members.
Message 4 of 13
Wellspa

Thanks for the story.....I've been going back and forth on whether to settle or pay in full. This was great motivation!!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wellspa wrote:
Thanks for the story.....I've been going back and forth on whether to settle or pay in full. This was great motivation!!

For my situation, the settlement was well worth it! It's nice not having to worry about that lingering anymore, and to pay much less than the balance owed. Now I can focus on getting my utilization down and not worry about this haunting me! Good luck, and thank you for the kind words!

Message 6 of 13
DGOATS1
Regular Contributor

Fantastic. Love seeing people paying off CO accounts!
Starting Score: 652/644/654 (March 2019)
Current Score: 729/745/745
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

What an amazing increase.   After whining on a thread I started yesterday about a 4-point decrease in my Experian FICO score,  I took to heart what a few commenters pointed out, which is until I get my charged-off account completely paid off it will continue to hold my scores down and is a big negative on my report.   I owed Cap One $3966 on a $4,000 CL.  I have been paying $200 a month, sometimes more, since last September.   I have paid it down to $1366.   But I need to go ahead and pay it off and not drag it out for six more months.  Reading how positively it affected your credit scores is really encouraging.  Although, I doubt I will get the jump in points you did. 

Again, your story was inspirational.  Congratulations!

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 8 of 13
povertybro
Contributor

Did you settle to delete? More context please
Message 9 of 13
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Yes that would be great info. Was it a pay for delete or is it reporting as paid; settled for less?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.