Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Charge Off/Utility Charge Off and rebuilding

tag
AmericanSkin
Established Member

USAA Charge Off/Utility Charge Off and rebuilding

Hey, just wanted to first start off by saying this is a pretty extraordinary forum with an exceptional amount of excellent information, so thank you in advance. 

Attempting to rebuild credit based on poor decisions made a few years ago. Most frustrating part of this all is that USAA is my primary issue - very annoying considering that they're designed to support active duty and I've found them to be incredibly unresponsive. 

Jan 2018 - began missing payments on a USAA Career Starter loan with a balance of $4753. Long story short, I was supposed to be on autopay for this loan and somehow it was removed (USAA app is miserable in my opinion). I asked repeatedly for them to reinstate my autopay on the phone and even got to the point where I asked them to record my conversations so that I could prove that I had authorized autopay but ultimately the responsibility is on the person, not the company. May 2018 my loan was charged off and closed, reporting the balance. It was never sent to collections based on my CRs. 

Foolishly, I attempted to dispute the account with Transunion based on active duty circumstances, and my TU score dropped from 685 (VantageScore 3.0) to 615 because the dispute "reopened" my closed account. I've asked USAA to report accurately, but after a month of phone calls and even attempting to pay in full, no change in status. 

I received a letter from Revco Solutions offering to settle for 50%, which terrifies me because I assume that this will

now be reported as a collection. It does not show as a CA account on any of my CRs so far, but I just got the letter. I heard on this forum that USAA no longer sells debt and just uses the collection agencies as a tool, but I'm not sure. And I'm very fearful that this will show as a collection in the near future. 

I attempted to pay the amount to USAA, but they informed me over the phone that Revco is handling the debt and I would need to work with them. Seems strange if they haven't actually sold the debt, which I am assuming they did. 

Should I work with the company to settle at 50% and hope for the best, knowing that my SOL timeline might be reset?  Will USAA report as settled, or can I negotiate with Revco to state PIF and put in writing that they will not report the CA to the bureaus?

I've been working to rebuild for some time now. Very strangely, even with my fair credit scores, I have been approved for several higher end cards (AMEX Plat and Chase Sapphire Reserve), have a CL of 28k with consistently less than 2% utilization, and an auto loan with about 23k left in good standing. So this USAA account (and a few missed payments in 2017 that have been current since 2018, and a CO from a utility company for $60 during a military move which I had no knowledge of) are tanking my scores. 

EXP Fico 8 - 650

EXP Fico 9 - 675

TU Fico 9 - 675

TU VS 3.0 - 634

EQ Fico 9 - 627 (have no idea why this is so much lower)

EQ VS 3.0 - 692

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I can pay off the full CO amount, but USAA has been adamant that they will not PFD and that Revco is my only contact for the CO account. 

Thanks in advance. 

18 REPLIES 18
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA Charge Off/Revco Solutions and Credit Rebuild Inquiry

>I received a letter from Revco Solutions offering to settle for 50%, which terrifies me because I assume that this will

now be reported as a collection. It does not show as a CA account on any of my CRs so far, but I just got the letter. I heard on this forum that USAA no longer sells debt and just uses the collection agencies as a tool, but I'm not sure. And I'm very fearful that this will show as a collection in the near future. 

I attempted to pay the amount to USAA, but they informed me over the phone that Revco is handling the debt and I would need to work with them. Seems strange if they haven't actually sold the debt, which I am assuming they did.

An original creditor doesn't have to sell the debt to involve a CA. USAA has probably hired Revco to collect the debt on their behalf. When this happens, the CA may or may not report the debt in collections to the CRAs. They can, but they don't always. If the original CO acct still shows a balance, USAA has most likely not sold the debt, but has given collection authority to Revco.

>Should I work with the company to settle at 50% and hope for the best, knowing that my SOL timeline might be reset?  Will USAA report as settled, or can I negotiate with Revco to state PIF and put in writing that they will not report the CA to the bureaus?

If you're financially able, I would take the 50% settlement. Revco is just collecting on USAA's behalf, and will turn the money (minus their fees) to USAA. If Revco will send you an email/letter stating they will accept 50% of the balance to consider the account 'settled in full', there's no possible SOL implications. You pay, the account is closed, end of story. USAA will then report the charged off account with a $0 balance and a remark 'legally settled for less than the full amount' or something similar. They're not going to mark it PIF if you settle it, and they're not going to PFD. Score wise, there is no difference whatsoever between PIF or settled for less. Settling this account will stop the balance from affecting your installment utilization %, and will allow it to begin to age until it dies a slow death 7 1/2 years from DoFD. You can attempt a sort of 'preemptive' PFD with Revco to make sure they don't report a paid collection tradeline on your reports in addition to the original charged off account. Not sure if Revco has any intention of ever reporting as a CA or not.

For the utility collection, call the electric company, and ask them to recall the debt in exchange for your payment. If they agree, the CA will disappear from your reports entirely. Don't put too much focus on VantageScore 3.0 scores. They're all but irrelevant to lenders. Track FICO scores through the various sites/apps available (myFICO.com, credit.com, experian.com, Discover Credit Scorecard, etc.).

Team Garden Club as of Oct 2021
Message 2 of 19
AmericanSkin
Established Member

Thank you for the detailed response, much appreciated. 

Since TU is the only CRB reporting an "open" status on this CO and the only bureau that is currently including the balance in my utilization score, I imagine that the settled CO will update last activity for the other two CRBs and cause a fairly significant drop in score?

Message 3 of 19
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

@AmericanSkin wrote:

Since TU is the only CRB reporting an "open" status on this CO and the only bureau that is currently including the balance in my utilization score, I imagine that the settled CO will update last activity for the other two CRBs and cause a fairly significant drop in score?

It depends. When was the last time the CO acct was updated with the other 2? 

Message 4 of 19
AmericanSkin
Established Member

@SoonerSoldier33 wrote:

@AmericanSkin wrote:

It depends. When was the last time the CO acct was updated with the other 2? 

Both EQ and EXP have the account updating monthly as "closed" rather than open, with the most recent status of AUG 21 as "CO" on payment history. 

Message 5 of 19
AmericanSkin
Established Member

Sorry, quick correction. Only EXP is reporting as "closed" - EQ is also reporting as open. 

Message 6 of 19
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

>Both EQ and EXP have the account updating monthly as "closed" rather than open, with the most recent status of AUG 21 as "CO" on payment history. 

Since the CO acct is being updated monthly by all 3 CRAs, there should be no score decrease by paying/settling the account. If anything, you could see an increase when the balance is reported to $0 as it will stop affecting utilization metrics. 3rd party apps do a poor job of showing your actual utilization %. If this CO is being reported monthly with a balance to all 3 CRAs, (open or closed doesn't matter) it's definitely affecting your utilization % on all 3.

Message 7 of 19
AmericanSkin
Established Member

I see. I'm hoping that's actually the case and the data I'm getting from the EXP app and credit.com's ExtraCredit is off, like you said. Regardless, it looks like the only issue I might have in the future is mortgage lending based on the "Settled" as opposed to PIF. 

Again, thank you so much for your responses - you've been incredibly helpful. 

Message 8 of 19
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

>Regardless, it looks like the only issue I might have in the future is mortgage lending based on the "Settled" as opposed to PIF. 

I've read the various statements about settled looking worse to potential lenders than PIF, and it makes sense that it would. I'll just say this...I feel like its impact is greatly exaggerated. FICO scoring models make no distinction score wise between PIF or settled for less, and most mortgage lenders simply require that all CO/CA accounts are paid, and that the middle score of your FICO 2,4,5 scores is in their approval range. I think you're fine to settle this account. The verbiage you need to see from the CA is that the account will be considered 'settled in full' for the amount you agree to pay. Then, they have no recourse to attempt to collect the unpaid difference from the original balance.  Once you have that in an email/letter, I think you're safe to pay them. Good luck!

Message 9 of 19
AmericanSkin
Established Member

Update - paid the utility charge off (Dominion Energy - $60) in full and went with Revco's settlement. The Dominion account showed as "Paid, was a Charge Off" with a fresh CO update of September 2021 (all other payment history deleted) and my EXP Fico 8 took a 26 point loss. Didn't think it would be so drastic considering it was updated as a negative since the original CO in January 2019. The utility company absolutely refused to delete for payment. 

Anticipating a huge drop now after the USAA "settled" mark hits, even after the 0 balance shows. Disappointing, but hoping it recovers sooner than later. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.