Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Charge-off Advice needed.

tag
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

USAA Charge-off Advice needed.

I have a charge-off for a USAA credit card with a balance of $7800. USAA reports this debt as late every month to equifax despite it being a charge-off.

I recently received a letter in the mail from a collection agency called Northland Group offering a settlement of $4312.62 divided into 9 payments. Should I take this offer? Would taking this offer remove USAA from my credit report? Would taking this offer ruin my relationship and chances of future credit from USAA? The collection agency isn't reflected on my reports.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Charge-off Advice needed.

Yeah I got a call today from an agency about my USAA CO as well, not that much though. The CA isn't showing on my bureau, but the USAA account is reporting each month, so I know I have to pay it, but right now I'm waiting on a PFD request to see if I have to pony that money up or I can take care of this one and another one and try to GW them off later. So I'm in for responses. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 6
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

This account is the anchor on my Equifax Fico Score.
I called USAA and they were demanding a full balance payment and wouldn't agree to monthly payments.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA can be a (insert bad word) when you get on the wrong side...I tried to add DD on my car insurance thru them to help her out (Apr 17) and the written reply stated

" we are unable to offer her (DD's name) reinstated membership and our products due to her prior relationship"

she was on my policy when she was a minor, and then her own membership until she burned them for 1800 CC (CO in 05) and they closed down her membership after that.

I would keep trying to call/write to get a repayment plan worked out (unfortunately DD has her head in the sand and refuses to pay her bill)

I hope this works out for you

Message 4 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Accepting the offer from Northland Group won't remove USAA from your reports.
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the creditor is still reporting a balance on the account, then they apparently have only assigned collection authority to the debt collector, and have not sold it to them.

Thus, if you pay, regardless of whether your payment is made to the debt collector or to the creditor, it is being made to the creditor, with the debt collector only being an agent in the process of collecting.  As to the extent to which the creditor will continue to hold a prior delinquency against the consumer, it is more likely to be "forgiven" if paid than if stiffed.

If paid after they sell the debt to a debt collector, then the creditor does not get a red cent of any subsequent payment amount.  It goes totally to the purchasing debt collector.

Thus, paying before they sell the debt can result in less (or no) loss by the creditor, while paying after it is sold will result in no offset of loss by the creditor.

If you do pay, I would suggest doing so by way of first making a pay for not reporting offer to the debt collector.

While the debt collector will likely never report after you pay the debt, they are not legally precluded from doing so, and a pay for not reporting agreement will ensure that they cannot report.

Paying the debt collector will not require the creditor to delete any reporting.

It will only require the creditor to update the status to paid or paid/settled for less, and to update the current balance to $0.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.