Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get approved

tag
CrimsonMoon93
Contributor

Unable to get approved

So I have applied to some secure cards but haven't been able to get approved.  What else is left to do?  I have pretty awful credit with a crap ton of collections.  I guess to rebuild I have to pay those collections off.

Starting Score 12/2018: 521 EX; 553 TU; 508 EQ
Current Score 04/2021: 627 EX; 632 TU; 622 EQ
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unable to get approved

The OpenSky secured card has no credit check. There are pros and cons but it's a start.
And, yes, pay off your old collections.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many collections are we talking? How recent? 

If the scores in your siggy are correct, it will be very difficult to get approvals. Did you try open sky credit card? 

Also, may ask a mod to move this to rebuilding so you can get more appropriate assistance.

Message 3 of 15
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Sorry...

Yeah, it's tough to get approved with a ton of baddies pulling on your credit tail.

Have you tried Open Sky? I believe they offer a secured card that doesn't do a credit check.

It's worth checking out- 

Keep posting on the Rebuilding Board, I see you've been there working with folks.

It's a complicated, long arduous process but it will be well worth it, in the end.

Good Luck!! 

Have a Happy New Year!!  2019 will be awesome for you if you keep at it! 

happynewyear3.gifETA: We were all posting at the same time. LOL

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Just noticed that you only have 3 collections but no open cards.
OpenSky may be your best bet for now. Start there (no credit check required) and make a plan for tackling your baddies when you can afford it. When tackling your baddies try PFDs.

All the best
Message 5 of 15
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Is First Premire considered a four letter word in this section?

There is an old saying ..... "If you want to dance, sometimes you have to pay the fiddler" I know FP is a preditory lender but on the upside, they will report to all 3 CRBs and you will see a big  positive score gain.

Fingethut is another option

Your goal score is too low,  Make it 650. You want your goal to be in the midrange of FICO. Work hard but you can do it.

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 15
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

Is First Premire considered a four letter word in this section?

There is an old saying ..... "If you want to dance, sometimes you have to pay the fiddler" I know FP is a preditory lender but on the upside, they will report to all 3 CRBs and you will see a big  positive score gain.

Fingethut is another option

Your goal score is too low,  Make it 650. You want your goal to be in the midrange of FICO. Work hard but you can do it.

Good luck

10_3_6.gif

Yeah, it's a bad, bad word but sometimes profanity is one's only option.. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

OpenSky is your answer, as has already been mentioned. That's one secured card.

I happened to sign up with Green Dot Platinum first (I would have gone with OpenSky had I thought of it) but Green Dot is also good. I wrote a review for it here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/My-review-of-the-Green-Dot-Platinum-Secured-Credit-Car...

Both Green Dot and OpenSky will approve you with no credit check as long as you have some income. (I have a pretty low income and they accepted me, so obviously the bar is set rather low. Cat LOL ) I was so used to being rejected (well it was only a few times) but I couldn't believe it when Green Dot accepted me. 

Green Dot started reporting to all three credit bureaus right away and so far, I don't have complaints. I pay online with my debit card (though you can also pay—for a fee—at Walmart or other retail stores) and the payment posts quickly. It's easy to keep up on payments to keep the balance low.

So, that's two cards right there that will probably take you and don't have crazy fees or an otherwise predatory reputation. Good luck and keep us posted! 

Message 8 of 15
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Message 9 of 15
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

@OP

IMHO, I wouldn’t dispute anything just yet. The reasoning is that it’ll just drive your score down, especially, if some haven’t updated in quite awhile.(no offense to the other poster)
The “1-2” has at some point worked for some and has seriously backfired on others. Especially, if they are still within SOL.
IMHO, I would FIRST, STOP applying, at the moment- pull all 3 of my credit reports(if you haven’t already?) from annualcreditreport.com and see what you have going on! Go through your reports and find ALL your DOFD’s and figure out EXACTLY whether those accounts are still within your state’s SOL. You don’t want to be poking(disputing and waking) any bears until you are sure you’re safe and financially ready to do so. Once your are able to establish that and you are ready to start “wheeling and dealing” then you can(I WOULD) send out DV letters to the CA’s only(you can’t DV OC) so you can hopefully get a response from them if they can validate the debt WITH the correct amount and that it is accurately reporting.
IMHO, I would spend a couple of months cleaning my reports up the BEST THAT YOU CAN, as I did before I app’d for ANYTHING!! My scores were about where yours were. I PIF a cc that would have held my UTL% hostage so I paid that. Put myself on DW Cap1 as AU during that time. I managed to get a few medicals deleted, JUST by DV’g ALONE because they couldn’t validate. Once I cleaned just a few things up my scores jumped into the low 5’s 2 months later, just enough to app for Discover Secured and be approved. I still had many baddies to tackle...AND STILL DO!! Reasons why my scores are still so low. This has been lil over 7 mos.
Again, I would clean somethings up first and see where your scores are?? A couple of months more isn’t going to hurt to wait(unless you are that impatient?) to possibly getting approvals for better cards like Cap1/Discover Secured’s that ACTUALLY graduate. Instead of settling for less. Again, JMHO. YMMV.

Thanks for joining MyFICO Forums!

Glad ya here!!😉

Best of Luck on your journey.👍

😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.