Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

tag
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

I went to the dealership to test drive a vehicle for my mom. I let the salesman copy my drivers license in order to test drive. I'm not buying or co-signing for my mom....JUST test driving!!!! Why all of a sudden I have an alert on my credit report from an Auto Financing Company?! I never gave the salesman my social at all!! How is this possible?! Isn't it illegal? I'm super pissed!!! It didn't affect my score...but it's the PRINCIPLE!!!
Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

They do not have PP to test drive a vehicle.  I would be contacting them and telling them to remove it or at least recode to a SP.

Message 2 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with guiness.  Test driving a car is not a permissable pull reasoning.  There was no intent of purchase at that time.  Car salesmen are quick to pull the trigger.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 13
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

The company is called Quality Leads Auto Financing!! Should I put a fraud alert on my credit report? I want to go after these people, because I'm working to hard trying to clean things up....and limiting credit inquires is one of them!!!

Has anyone heard of Quality Leads?
Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 4 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

A fraud alert wouldn't do anything.  I would just contact them and tell them the situtation and request that they recode it to a SP.

July 2013 score:

Message 5 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FTC has specifically addressed the issue of automobile dealers accessing a consumer's credit report in a february 11, 1998 advisory opinion:

"1. Section 604(a)(3)(F) permits CRAs to provide consumer reports to any party who has a "legitimate business need for the information in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the consumer." You ask whether this provision allows a dealer to obtain a consumer report on a person who "comes to an automobile dealership and requests information" from a salesman about one or more automobiles. In our view it does not, because a request for general information about products and prices offered does not involve a business transaction initiated by the consumer.

"More generally, you ask "when is the beginning of a business transaction" initiated by the consumer? In responding to this question, it is important to note that Section 604(a)(3)(F) limits this "business need" permissible purpose to transactions (i) that are "initiated" by the consumer and (ii) where the seller has a "legitimate business need" for the information. The staff's view is that an automobile dealer may obtain a report only in those circumstances in which the consumer clearly understands that he or she is initiating the purchase or lease of a vehicle and the seller has a legitimate business need for the consumer report information in order to complete the transaction.

"For example, a consumer who asks a dealer questions about prices and financing is not necessarily indicating an intent to purchase or lease a vehicle from that particular dealer. Nor does the dealer have a "legitimate" business need for a consumer report in this situation. The consumer may simply be comparison shopping. In such a situation, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a consumer report. If the dealer would like to see a consumer's credit report before answering general questions about the availability of financing, this must be explained to the consumer and written permission must be obtained. In the same way, a request to "test drive" a vehicle does not indicate an intent to initiate the purchase or lease of the vehicle. Accordingly, if a consumer asks to test drive a vehicle, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a report.

"Only in those circumstances where it is clear both to the consumer and to the dealer that the consumer is actually initiating the purchase or lease of a specific vehicle and, in addition, the dealer has a legitimate business need for consumer report information may the dealer obtain a report without written permission. In this regard, we note that obtaining information for negotiation purposes does not constitute a "legitimate" business need. The dealer must have a specific need for the information directly related to the completion of the transaction. For example, a dealer may obtain a report, if one is necessary, in order to arrange financing requested by the consumer.(1) The dealer may also obtain a report to check a consumer's creditworthiness when the consumer presents a personal check to pay for the vehicle. By contrast, a permissible purpose would not arise if a consumer intends to pay by cash."

Bottom line, unless you gave them written authorization, you were soliciting credit via the dealer and / or at the moment of payment you tendered a check, the dealer did not have permissible purpose to access your credit report.  You can sue them.

Message 6 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I know that when I bought my son's car a couple months ago, the finance guy at the dealership had me sign a paper authorizing them to pull my CR.  That seems like a much better practice.

July 2013 score:

Message 7 of 13
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I'm curious about how a dealer could pull your credit without your ss number. Anyone knows?

Message 8 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

I'm curious about how a dealer could pull your credit without your ss number. Anyone knows?

He gave them his DL.  It could have been on there.

Message 9 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

SSN is just one, albiet the most common, identifier used to request a credit report, based on its supposed unique identifier status.

Some consumers dont even have an SSN.

A full name and address is usualy sifficient to identity the consumer and obtan their credit report.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.