Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected call has me worried

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unexpected call has me worried

I am at a point in my credit rebuild that I feel very confident that I have taken care of all of my old debts that were charged off and / or in collection. That's not to say my report is clean. There are a few zero balance charge offs there and I'm just letting time do it's job. Having said that, anyone who has screwed things up and then goes through a rebuild knows what it feels like to worry there's something else out there that's going to come back and bite and take all of your progress away. Over the last three weeks I've gotten two phone calls with a recorded message saying it's for me from something called direct recovery services. According to their website they are a collection agency, of course. The messages are somewhat generic although in one instance they very, very, very quickly ran through a number of different payment options and said them so fast I couldn't possibly write the information down. I have been reluctant to call the number they say to call. First, they call from ghosted numbers from various towns around where I live. Second, the number they left isn't even the same number that's advertised on their website. Third, I don't want to call them and somehow alert them that I exist if all that's going on here is some lame attempt at trying to get some money from me for some old, out of date, forgotten debt that they paid one cent on the dollar for. Still, I'm worried that I'm gonna wake up one day to a credit alert telling me that I've lost a thousand points because of some collection popping up on my record. Any advice?

9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Unexpected call has me worried

To this day get calls that match my area code. And its Zombie collectors. Now that I have Googles Call Screening. The lady says Im not available. leave a message and I'll get the text. Click. Gone. "I have been reluctant to call the number they say to call." Yeah it probably goes overseas. Next time they call tell them to send you a validation letter. But but but. Click.

Message 2 of 10
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am at a point in my credit rebuild that I feel very confident that I have taken care of all of my old debts that were charged off and / or in collection. That's not to say my report is clean. There are a few zero balance charge offs there and I'm just letting time do it's job. Having said that, anyone who has screwed things up and then goes through a rebuild knows what it feels like to worry there's something else out there that's going to come back and bite and take all of your progress away. Over the last three weeks I've gotten two phone calls with a recorded message saying it's for me from something called direct recovery services. According to their website they are a collection agency, of course. The messages are somewhat generic although in one instance they very, very, very quickly ran through a number of different payment options and said them so fast I couldn't possibly write the information down. I have been reluctant to call the number they say to call. First, they call from ghosted numbers from various towns around where I live. Second, the number they left isn't even the same number that's advertised on their website. Third, I don't want to call them and somehow alert them that I exist if all that's going on here is some lame attempt at trying to get some money from me for some old, out of date, forgotten debt that they paid one cent on the dollar for. Still, I'm worried that I'm gonna wake up one day to a credit alert telling me that I've lost a thousand points because of some collection popping up on my record. Any advice?

I'll say give them a call. If they reference an account that you know has not been resolved, then take care of it. And if its not accurate, your off the hook and go back to sleep 😉

Message 3 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll say give them a call. If they reference an account that you know has not been resolved, then take care of it. And if its not accurate, your off the hook and go back to sleep 😉

I would NOT contact them. If its legit you will get a letter detailing the debt.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 10
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would NOT contact them. If its legit you will get a letter detailing the debt.

Some collection agencies call you 1st before reporting to credit bureaus. Call or letter makes no difference if the collection is legit. OP needs to take care of it especially middle of rebuild.

Message 5 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Some collection agencies call you 1st before reporting to credit bureaus. Call or letter makes no difference if the collection is legit. OP needs to take care of it especially middle of rebuild.

I still stand by my advice to not call them, I am pretty sure its a zombie debt. If legit they will most always send a letter after trying to contact you. If it's legit certainly take care of it, but never best to do over the phone. You know how many people get "tricked over the phone" with their scare tatics, bank info, restarting the clock etc.  Sorry seen this happen way too often.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 10
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I still stand by my advice to not call them, I am pretty sure its a zombie debt. If legit they will most always send a letter after trying to contact you. If it's legit certainly take care of it, but never best to do over the phone. You know how many people get "tricked over the phone" with their scare tatics, bank info, restarting the clock etc.  Sorry seen this happen way too often.

That I agree, but I doubt OP is going to fall for a scam given his been dealing with few collections already 💪😎

Message 7 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Save the messages. It is (was) illegal to leave messages that identify that they're trying to collect a debt. If it turns out to be real, you could sue them for violation of the FDCPA. It's been a really long time since I did loss mitigation, so I don't know if the law has changed.

Message 8 of 10
hpotterfan77
Regular Contributor

As someone who is almost done paying off all my old debt, do NOT call them back.  Block the number.  If it's legit, they will send you something in the mail. There is not one charge off or collection on my credit that I didn't get something from in writing.  If they are spoofing numbers for area codes around where you live, that is a sure sign that it's either a zombie, bottom feeding debt collector or a scam.  Do NOT call them back.  I have never got anything on my credit report from any of those jerks that call me. Never.

Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (09/22): EQ - 617- TU - 638/EX - 647
Comenity M/C - $6730.00, BJs Perks MC - $2800.00, Credit One - $1200.00, Credit One - $800.00, NFCU -$6300.00, Care Credit - $5000.00, William Sonoma - $3500.00, Overstock - $4100.00, Pottery Barn - $2000.00>
Message 9 of 10
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Agreed. Ignore it. Wait for a letter.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.