Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair Judgment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfair Judgment

In 2011 I had to have a surgical procedure. My insurance covered all but just over $700. I was out of work at the time but my husband was working. His income wasn't much and when I got the bill I tried to set up payment arrangements for $100/month since I couldn't pay it all. The hospital refuses to accept payments and demanded payment in full. I tried 3 times to set up payment arrangements. They filed a suit against me and I have since had a judgment on my report. My payments through the lawyers is $50 a month, half of what I had originally tried to pay. This just doesn't seem right or fair. I was sued because I was too poor to pay the full balance and they refused to accept what I could afford, but it's ok to pay half of what I offered now. Is there anything at all I can do about this?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unfair Judgment

Hi and welcome. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. Question. Did you explain all this to the judge when you went to court for the judgement? And what did he or she have to say about that? No It does not seem fair, I was under the impression that hospitals worked with people when they couldn't afford their bills. I don't know if there is anything you can do, but if there is someone here will surely be able to tell you. Good luck.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not the only person this hospital has done this to. Unfortunately not long after my surgery my husband lost his job. He accepted a job offer out of state so we had to move. The 3rd time I called them was to explain that he lost his job and I needed more time to come up with the money or payment arrangements like I had attempted before. They still refused. I was out of state when they took it to court so I didn't get the chance to go in front of the judge. Now, to add insult to injury, they've tacked on $500 worth of interest. They closed the account because I was out of state and they didn't want to spend the money to persue the judgment from out of state. But since I called when I did a credit check and realized it was still there, they reopened the case. Now I'm supposed to pay $50 a month to an almost doubled bill that I tried to take care of. I just think that there should be something against using this kind of practice to get money from people. I understand I should have taken care of it sooner, so the interest is my fault for letting it sit so long, but it should've never become a judgment to begin with.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so sorry to hear that, I am no stranger to the struggles that you describe, though I have never been sued by a creditor yet. Unfortunately you are correct in your statement that our bad credit is our fault and yes our creditors do not have to work with us but the world would damn sure be a better place if they did. Like I said before I can't offer you anything more than words of encouragement and to tell you that if you have any recourse the veterans on the forum will know and point you in the proper direction. I think the situation you're in is truly crappy and that the hospital should have worked with you and I hope that you can get it resolved without too much stress and finincial hardship.
Message 4 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

Strange as I make payments on medical all the time (until I need to meet a spend).  The difference I think being I send a payment every month while I'm trying to set up the payment plan.  If the books show you 120 days without any payment. I'm pretty sure they will try and collect (which seems fair)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that it is strange. I had to take one of my kids to the ER this year for what I thought was her appendix. My insurance didn't cover the whole bill but this hospital (different than the one above) has let me pay what I can as long as it's on a consistent monthly basis. They weren't rude and accept what I can pay. The first hospital I spoke of would not accept anything other than payment in full, which is why I got to the "late" category and made it seem I was asking them to pay me instead. I didn't deny I owed it and I tried to pay by phone and in person but they refused. Like I said, I'm not the first they have done this to. I just thought there would be some guidelines against such poor business practices. I would hate to see it happen to anyone else.
Message 6 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Judgments are entirely different from collections.  Once the creditor gets a judgment against you, the judgment balance is subject to interest for the entire time it is in effect. The good thing is the interest rate is limited by state statutes. The bad thing is judgments last a very long time - anywhere from 10 years to 20 years depending on the jurisdiction.  Plus the judgment can be renewed for another ten years or 20 years if unpaid. Check your state statutes to see what the regulations are for your area. When you do pay this judgment, make sure you get a Satisfaction recorded to show it is paid off so it doesn't come back to bite you in the future.  By the way, you can negotiate judgment payoff's just like any other debt with the judgment lien holder. 

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

After the judgment was obtained, you apparently entered into either a voluntary or forced repayment plan.

Did the judgment credtior file an additional motion to levy assets or garnish pay, which is the legal source of your repayment plan?

If so, the "fairness" of the repayment amount would have been part of the legal process determined by the judge.

If the assessment is clearly too burdensome, you can motion the court for an amended order.......

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No additional motion. I set up automatic payment plan through my checking account. The law office actually told me I could pay as little as $25 a month. I had an option as to what I am able to pay now as long as it's $25 or more. I just finished school and got a good paying job so financially I am able to pay now and my payments are more than fair. My problem is with how it all worked out. The fact that they refused payments and sued me to get less per month than what I tried to pay the day I got the bill in the mail. I think the whole interest thing may have some bearing in it. But it's sad that the hospital, where sick and injured people go, has been so sue happy instead of working with people to take care of their bill.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.