cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau

Highlighted
New Visitor

Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau

Hello, so yesterday I received an email that my FICO score had changed. I've worked my butt off getting it to where it was, 735, from around 640 these past few years. The email I received was a delinquency in the amount of $87 reported by Diversified Consultants, apparently it was from an old Charter Communications account I had. Here's where the water gets muddy:

 

I worked for Charter Communications from 2014 until 2018. I was fired on September 30th, 2018. From 2014 until my fire date, I had a complementary account, meaning all of my services were free. When I called Diversified Consultants, they said my services with Spectrum (Charter Communications) were activated on August 16th, basically that my account was changed from a complementary employee account to a regular paying account.

 

My theory is that, on August 16th, they made the decision to fire me and converted my account to a regular account without telling me, and so they started charging me for service on that date. The day I got fired, I cancelled my account and turned in the equipment on that same day. Because I thought it was still a complementary account, I didn't think to check if there was a balance, which there shouldn't have been. 

 

So now, this delinquency of only $87 has taken my credit score from 735 to 687 and it will show on my report for what, 7 years, right?

What do I do about this? It's completely unfair that I was charged that amount and that it was reported. I'm going to dispute the charge with the debt collector and Charter, so if I get the debt wiped out, who do I contact about having the delinquency removed from my report? The debt collector said they will not contact the credit bureau to remove it regardless of if I pay it or have it sucessfully disputed.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau


@bumzag wrote:

Hello, so yesterday I received an email that my FICO score had changed. I've worked my butt off getting it to where it was, 735, from around 640 these past few years. The email I received was a delinquency in the amount of $87 reported by Diversified Consultants, apparently it was from an old Charter Communications account I had. Here's where the water gets muddy:

 

I worked for Charter Communications from 2014 until 2018. I was fired on September 30th, 2018. From 2014 until my fire date, I had a complementary account, meaning all of my services were free. When I called Diversified Consultants, they said my services with Spectrum (Charter Communications) were activated on August 16th, basically that my account was changed from a complementary employee account to a regular paying account.

 

My theory is that, on August 16th, they made the decision to fire me and converted my account to a regular account without telling me, and so they started charging me for service on that date. The day I got fired, I cancelled my account and turned in the equipment on that same day. Because I thought it was still a complementary account, I didn't think to check if there was a balance, which there shouldn't have been. 

 

So now, this delinquency of only $87 has taken my credit score from 735 to 687 and it will show on my report for what, 7 years, right?

What do I do about this? It's completely unfair that I was charged that amount and that it was reported. I'm going to dispute the charge with the debt collector and Charter, so if I get the debt wiped out, who do I contact about having the delinquency removed from my report? The debt collector said they will not contact the credit bureau to remove it regardless of if I pay it or have it sucessfully disputed.


Confusing part. Looks like they got ready to terminate you and cut you off from the employee discount a couple weeks before the actual termination actually happened. So if the CA says it started in August. You werent fired until Sept. Somethings off.

Message 2 of 9
New Visitor

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau

So an update: I called Spectrum and apparently the debt isn't what I speculated, it's a result of a fee for installation of service. The problem is, I was a field technician and I installed the service myself, there should never have been a fee for that. I escalated the issue to have the debt removed, but the problem remains that it was reported the credit bureau and Diversified Consultants claims that they won't request it removed from my report regardless of it being disputed successfully or not. 

 

If I pay the debt with Spectrum, and they report to Diversified Consultants that it was paid, what are the chances me successfully disputing the debt to Equifax and having it removed from my credit report? 

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau


@bumzag wrote:

So an update: I called Spectrum and apparently the debt isn't what I speculated, it's a result of a fee for installation of service. The problem is, I was a field technician and I installed the service myself, there should never have been a fee for that. I escalated the issue to have the debt removed, but the problem remains that it was reported the credit bureau and Diversified Consultants claims that they won't request it removed from my report regardless of it being disputed successfully or not. 

 

If I pay the debt with Spectrum, and they report to Diversified Consultants that it was paid, what are the chances me successfully disputing the debt to Equifax and having it removed from my credit report? 


Have Spectrum recall their collector then pay them this gets Diversified off your CRs as they no longer have collection authority. A BBB complaint against the Spectrum for shoddy business practice can also possible prod them to do what you are requesting if they are unreasonable. These people are my provider and I absolutely detest their business practices and shoddy overall service that they provide.

 

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
New Visitor

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau


@gdale6 wrote:

@bumzag wrote:

So an update: I called Spectrum and apparently the debt isn't what I speculated, it's a result of a fee for installation of service. The problem is, I was a field technician and I installed the service myself, there should never have been a fee for that. I escalated the issue to have the debt removed, but the problem remains that it was reported the credit bureau and Diversified Consultants claims that they won't request it removed from my report regardless of it being disputed successfully or not. 

 

If I pay the debt with Spectrum, and they report to Diversified Consultants that it was paid, what are the chances me successfully disputing the debt to Equifax and having it removed from my credit report? 


Have Spectrum recall their collector then pay them this gets Diversified off your CRs as they no longer have collection authority. A BBB complaint against the Spectrum for shoddy business practice can also possible prod them to do what you are requesting if they are unreasonable. These people are my provider and I absolutely detest their business practices and shoddy overall service that they provide.

 

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy


I'll definitely throw a review on the BBB. I was also considering filing a complaing with CFPB

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau

I hate Spectrum but they have like a monopoly in my area. I get charged $70 a month for their internet only. I literally need it because I take online classes. Out of all my bills that’s the one I hate the most.

What you say they did to you sounds nasty after 4 years of you working with them. I hope you get it resolved.
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau


@kev2018 wrote:
I hate Spectrum but they have like a monopoly in my area. I get charged $70 a month for their internet only. I literally need it because I take online classes. Out of all my bills that’s the one I hate the most.

What you say they did to you sounds nasty after 4 years of you working with them. I hope you get it resolved.

Spectrum is literally the only internet that I can get in my area. I took over my bf's roomates account (still in her name) so we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of returning the equipment and starting a new account in my name. However, what I didn't know is that they were going to raise the price $20 after a year! I also pay $70/month JUST FOR INTERNET and it's so ridiculous! I've tried calling and asking them to please remove her stuff because I need to get internet in my name and they keep telling me they can't. They said she has to return everything and cancel the account, or just not pay it, let it go to collections, and then I can finally get it in my name. However, that second option would take about 3 months and I need internet for various things. They're completely unreasonable and won't listen to my situation, so I'm stuck paying $70 a **bleep**ing month. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.



Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau


@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@kev2018 wrote:
I hate Spectrum but they have like a monopoly in my area. I get charged $70 a month for their internet only. I literally need it because I take online classes. Out of all my bills that’s the one I hate the most.

What you say they did to you sounds nasty after 4 years of you working with them. I hope you get it resolved.

Spectrum is literally the only internet that I can get in my area. I took over my bf's roomates account (still in her name) so we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of returning the equipment and starting a new account in my name. However, what I didn't know is that they were going to raise the price $20 after a year! I also pay $70/month JUST FOR INTERNET and it's so ridiculous! I've tried calling and asking them to please remove her stuff because I need to get internet in my name and they keep telling me they can't. They said she has to return everything and cancel the account, or just not pay it, let it go to collections, and then I can finally get it in my name. However, that second option would take about 3 months and I need internet for various things. They're completely unreasonable and won't listen to my situation, so I'm stuck paying $70 a **bleep**ing month. 


I would suggest you just pack up their stuff and take it to their local office, be sure to get a receipt for the person whose name it is in and have that person then call to cancel it. As the current tenant or homeowner you should be able to request service in your own name while you are returning their equipment if it is they you want. There may be satellite or even DSL available in your area these are 2 options for me.

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Unfair deliquency reported to credit bureau

 

Good Luck. I also have Spectrum and the service sucks. Pixelating channels at times. Picture goes black at times. Or the Please stand by. Wish I had line of sight for a dish. Mostly the worst remote in history. Wear your fingers out pressuing the buttons. Rant over.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.