Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid ambulance bill question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unpaid ambulance bill question

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I'm not sure where to put this, so please feel free to move it. I have a medical account in collection. The account is $1,000, but I have refused to pay due to the following reasons: I was in an accident and taken by ambulance to a hospital 50 miles away. The ambulance company never billed my insurance, which would have paid if they had billed within 2 years. After making no attempt to bill my insurance the ambulance company sent it over to collections. The ambulance company said they had nothing to do with the charge anymore, and I should contact the collection agency directly. I have not disputed the collections with any credit reporting agencies. What are the best steps to take to remove this collection from my credit report? Thank you.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unpaid ambulance bill question

Once they turn it over to collections, only bet is to direct your concerns to the collection agency (you have more leverage). 

It's sorda like the term "turnover". The original creditor feels they can't get the money, which then turnsover/sell the debt to a collection company for a lesser x amount to recoup their loss. It's harder than ever to collect debts in an economy. Some money is better than no money and lawsuit filings are time consuming and expensive to process.

It's also possible that your ins coverage may be "out of netowrk" for the ambulance fee.

You have 2 options.

1). Call the agency (collection), and try to work out a lower amount. I.e. I can only pay 45% of the amount... such and such (This will work only with collection agency). It depends on your situation. They might play hardball at first, but whatever amount your offering is better than 0 to them, so prepare to be silent and tell them this is all you can do and hang up. I'm 100% they will call back to counter or take what your offering. It has already left a blemish on your account so another few weeks to month wont make a difference.

IMPORTANT: Once a payment is decided and agreed upon, pay with a check. On the back of the check under endorsement; be sure to write PAID IN FULL and by endorsing this check you agree to delete this collection account off my report.  

2). Don't pay and wait till it drops off your report.. I believe its 7 or 10 years. I would only take this option after you tried option 1.

This is all the advice I can give to you. I hope for the best an a positive outcome! 

Please come back to give us an update. Good luck

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.