Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up! Down! Down! Up! Steady...Goes FICO-Coaster

tag
thornback
Senior Contributor

Up! Down! Down! Up! Steady...Goes FICO-Coaster

I've been in rebuild mode since September of 2017,  and, with a lot of luck, determination, and dilegence, I've come a long way.  I'm in the garden maintenance phase right now (Day 161) so, because there's really nothing left to fight, I spend spare time reading and responding to forum posts.  Lately,  I've noticed quite a few newish rebuilders posting their melt-downs as they happen in realtime -- generally over a score drop or lack of upwards movement - especially when they were expecting a positive FICO reponse to a particular action and they didn't get it -or worse, got the opposite.   Of course, those of us that have been there, done (or still doing) that, totally understand and do our best to respond with empathy and encouragement.  

I was trying to remember the feeling of having my score increase and then suddenly experiencing a dramatic decrease -- what was funny (odd funny, not funny haha) is that I did not, off hand, remember any of the downs, only the ups.   So I decided to plot my monthly scores to gain, and maintain, a visual of my rebuild experience -- and suddenly,  it all came rushing back.  I remember the exact reason for a significant score change at any given moment, and how I felt at the time... the cursing, the frustration, the sadness and hopelessness; all nearly bringing me to tears (may have actually shed a few once or twice)... I also remember the insane sense of accomplishment and sheer giddyness from every upward swing.  I thought I'd share My FICO-8s Trend with you all because I think it's interesting (I could be wrong...lol), but I especially wanted those of you that are fairly new to this mentally and emotionally exhausting plight to see that we all go through it - but we also come out stronger in the end.  

* Each score noted is a month-ending score. There were, at times, daily or weekly score variations during each month because so much was going on with my reports, so I only graphed how I ended each month -- with the exception of April which reflects where my scores currently stand.

* I started the FICO scale at 600 instead of 300 because my starting scores were in the low-mid 600s.

*  The big score difference between EX/TU and EQ is a longer credit age due an AU account that appears on EQ and not the others.

* All three reports have a single derog. (paid chargeoff) 

* Inquiries (Scorable and not):  EX(6); EQ(3); TU(1)

MY FICO-8s TRENDMY FICO-8s TREND

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Up! Down! Down! Up! Steady...Goes FICO-Coaster

I completely agree with TMR. Credit rebuilding journey has its ups and downs. It's not like taking an online exam and getting your results right away, it like an old school exam, where you wait for a report card to be mailed to you and until then you just keep on speculating what is going to happen. 

I have read many threads last couple of days where many people are giving up or losing hope. My advise to them "Educate, educate, educate and try, try, try". I know process is lengthy but don't give up and don't stop fighting for yourself. Keep on educating youself on these forums and try to implement it. 

I started my jorney in May 2017, with my scores 587 Ex, 609 EQ and 598 TU. One year later, I am proud to say that I am standing at 741 EX, 753 EQ and 749 TU. I still have many things to fight for, and I will keep on going until I reach 800. 

It wasn't easy, I had collections, charge-offs, late payments but I kept on fighting. I had been sending good will letters to Capital One since May 2017 to remove 3 late payments without any success. Until last week, where they agreed to remove my late payments and they did! 

So don't give up, war is long and tiring, you won't always find happiness but you are fighting for yourself, so keep on going and one day you will succeed. 

Message 2 of 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Up! Down! Down! Up! Steady...Goes FICO-Coaster

@Anonymous said, @Anonymous -  And excellent work on you rebuild!!   

When I say I have nothing left to fight -- I mean that with respect to removing negatives - I had great success in that area. The remaining charge-off looks like it's going to stay till 2021 (though I still send monthly goodwills, the "fight" is basically over).  I'm in the hurry up and wait for aging to happen phase.   My immediate goal is 780's across the board --with an ultimate goal of 800+ scores.  So, while I'm not done, I'm fairly content.  

Thanks for reading and posting your experience;  I think it's very important in helping others keep the faith.  Smiley Wink

@Anonymous wrote:

I completely agree with TMR. Credit rebuilding journey has its ups and downs. It's not like taking an online exam and getting your results right away, it like an old school exam, where you wait for a report card to be mailed to you and until then you just keep on speculating what is going to happen. 

I have read many threads last couple of days where many people are giving up or losing hope. My advise to them "Educate, educate, educate and try, try, try". I know process is lengthy but don't give up and don't stop fighting for yourself. Keep on educating youself on these forums and try to implement it. 

I started my jorney in May 2017, with my scores 587 Ex, 609 EQ and 598 TU. One year later, I am proud to say that I am standing at 741 EX, 753 EQ and 749 TU. I still have many things to fight for, and I will keep on going until I reach 800. 

It wasn't easy, I had collections, charge-offs, late payments but I kept on fighting. I had been sending good will letters to Capital One since May 2017 to remove 3 late payments without any success. Until last week, where they agreed to remove my late payments and they did! 

So don't give up, war is long and tiring, you won't always find happiness but you are fighting for yourself, so keep on going and one day you will succeed. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.