cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: even more impatient, TU, EQ deletions & cc updates!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Update: even more impatient, TU, EQ deletions & cc updates!

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you for this reply.  the original date is from 2011, i dont know if its too late to make a police report about theft.  im never late with anything else so i never bothered to check my reports.  ive learned my lesson now and have signed up for two different credit monitoring sites.  

No such thing as "too late". ID theft is often discovered long after its been done. You just need to make it clear that the report is simply so the items can legally be removed from your reports in order to clear your name.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They seldom do that as long as you provide plenty of information.

Nor sure where you pulled that quote from, but its not from FCRA 605B....

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They seldom do that as long as you provide plenty of information.

Nor sure where you pulled that quote from, but its not from FCRA 605B....

From an FTC guidebook, summarizing section c. 

Good to know that that doesn't happen often. I gathered it was common from the threads I read about people using it. 

Thanks for all the great info. Heart

Message 13 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The process under section 605B is based on the consumer providing a sworn police report supporting their assertion that they did not authorize the account or trnsaction.

Sworn statements before a law enforcement agency carry possible criminal penalties for knowingly false statements, and thus is more than a simple assertion by the consumer.

The grounds under which a CRA can decline to block information under section 605B is clearly set forth in the statute as follows:

"FCRA 605B(c)        Authority to Decline or Rescind

• (1) In general. A consumer reporting agency may decline to block, or may rescind any block, of information relating to a consumer under this sec-tion, if the consumer reporting agency reasonably determines that –
  • (A) the information was blocked in error or a block was requested by the consumer in error;
  • (B) the information was blocked, or a block was requested by the consumer, on the basis of a material misrepresentation of fact by the consumer relevant to the request to block; or
  • (C) the consumer obtained possession of goods, services, or money as a result of the blocked transaction or transactions.
  • (2) Notification to consumer. If a block of information is declined or rescinded under this subsection, the affected consumer shall be notified promptly, in the same manner as consumers are notified of the reinsertion of information under section 611(a)(5)(B)."
Message 14 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you for this reply.  the original date is from 2011, i dont know if its too late to make a police report about theft.  im never late with anything else so i never bothered to check my reports.  ive learned my lesson now and have signed up for two different credit monitoring sites.  

No such thing as "too late". ID theft is often discovered long after its been done. You just need to make it clear that the report is simply so the items can legally be removed from your reports in order to clear your name.

+1

All in getting this stuff removed, I agree, not too late. If this is the reason for the issues during that time, you should be able to clear yourself from that, and getting a report is part of that process.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.