Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on progress to date

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on progress to date

I've been working on cleaning up my credit since January, and after I buy a car at some point this summer, plan to garden till next year. Here's the progress I've made so far.

Current or Recent Negatives

• Dept of Education Direct Loan Servicing student loans: Closed as of May 2013, with a total of ~$57,000 across 11 tradelines, all showing 30-60 day lates in April and May 2013, despite me having paid on time, to make a long story short. I disputed the late payments last month and as of Tuesday, they've been deleted from all three reports!!
  • Cap 1 Kohls card: Closed by grantor in March 2014, with paid in full balance of $564. A bunch of 30-120 day lates in 2012 and 2013 when I got laid off and was just irresponsible (11 on EX, 13 on TU, 8 on EQ). I sent a GW email on Tuesday, got a call back from a woman in the EO this afternoon, I'll call her tomorrow morning!
  • USAA Amex: $1500 limit, high balance $1575 (fees). Closed by grantor May 2013 (opened January 2009), finally PIF in February 2015. Two 30 day lates show up on my reports in April 2013 and August 2013, though I think there were some 30 day lates before then. I sent a GW letter last week, got a call back from a woman in the EO this afternoon, I'll call her tomorrow morning!
  • Cap 1 Bestbuy card: Closed, with $1733 charge off in September 2013 for TU and EX (oddly, listed as charged off in April 2014 for EQ). Currently owned by The Bureaus.
  • The Bureaus: $1952 collection for the Bestbuy card. Listed as closed on EX and EQ with status dates of October '13 and April '15 respectively, and open on TU with status date of April '15. I sent a PFD letter a month ago and got no response, so I sent another one last Friday. No response yet. Hoping I get a nibble on the PFD, since it's the only collection on my reports!
  • Kia Motors Finance: Charge off of $8128 with status date of January '15. Listed as closed on EX and EQ and open on TU. Fired off a PFD last week to the CEO of Hyundai Capital America offering to pay $6500, but haven't heard anything back.
  • FedLoan Servicing student loans: Total of ~$57,000 across 11 tradelines from June 2013 through March 2014. They all show 180 day lates from June-December 2013. Long story short, I didn't receive notice from Direct Loans that the loans had been transferred till December 2013 and had been paying DLS via auto-debit for those 6 months. No idea how I fell through the cracks, but I have been unable to get in touch with DLS with multiple attempts since January. When I got notice of the loans being switched over, I had them in forbearance from January-March 2014, did a consolidation, then have been paying satisfactorily since then. I emailed FLS a month ago asking if they could retroactively put the loans in forbearance to cover June 2013-March 2014, but never heard back. Sent a letter to the EO last Monday asking the same thing, haven't heard back yet.
  • Synchrony Amazon card: Closed by grantor in October 2014, with paid in full balance of $1444. A handful of 30-120 day lates in 2012 and 2013, same scenario as the Kohls card. 8 lates shown by EX, 10 by TU, and 7 by EQ. I plan to send a GW for this one tomorrow.
  • Synchrony CareCredit: Open, current credit limit $2700 (down from a $4800 charge and limit in December 2011). Current balance is $1240, I plan to PIF in June or July. Been current since December 2013, but there were a handful of 30-60 day lates in 2013 (3 on EX, 4 on TU, and 4 on EQ). Going to drop a GW in the mail tomorrow.
  • Synchrony Paypal: Closed by grantor in September 2013 with PIF balance of $455. There was one 30 day late payment in March 2013 that shows up on EX and TU. I haven't gotten around to GWing this one yet.
  • USAA $25,000 personal loan: PIF and closed August 2014 (opened August 2009). Handful of 30-90 day lates in 2012 and 2013 (9 on all three bureaus between July 2012 and August 2013). Trying to decide if there's anything I can do with this one. If I have success with the USAA Amex GW, I plan to see if I can GW any of these lates.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I can get the Best Buy/Bureaus charge off/collection and Kia charge off off my reports soon! Those are my two biggest baddies, and then I hope to get the worst of the lates off with GWs.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Update on progress to date

Did your student loans only delete the late payment history? I had one student loan delete my entire payment history, both on time and late payments, they told me they no longer report monthly payment information. Not sure if they told me the truth or not?

BTW: congrats! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahmed: They deleted the TLs entirely, both the bad and good payment history from 2011-2013, so now all that's on my reports for student loans is showing up in 2013 to now, all for FedLoan Servicing. Meh, I would've liked them to have just updated and made the erroneously bad payment history become good payment history, but better to not have bad payment history on my report at all!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are the latest updates on the GW/PFD front:

• Cap 1 Kohls card: Closed by grantor in March 2014, with paid in full balance of $564. A bunch of 30-120 day lates in 2012 and 2013 when I got laid off and was just irresponsible (11 on EX, 13 on TU, 8 on EQ). I sent a GW email on Tuesday, got a call back from a woman in the EO last week, we've been playing phone tag since.
  • USAA Amex: $1500 limit, high balance $1575 (fees). Closed by grantor May 2013 (opened January 2009), finally PIF in February 2015. Two 30 day lates show up on my reports in April 2013 and August 2013, though I think there were some 30 day lates before then. I sent a GW letter last week, got a call back from a woman in the EO last week, we've been playing phone tag since.
  • Synchrony Amazon card: Closed by grantor in October 2014, with paid in full balance of $1444. A handful of 30-120 day lates in 2012 and 2013, same scenario as the Kohls card. 8 lates shown by EX, 10 by TU, and 7 by EQ. Dropped off a GW at the post office today.
  • Synchrony CareCredit: Open, current credit limit $2700 (down from a $4800 charge and limit in December 2011). Current balance is $1240, I plan to PIF in June or July. Been current since December 2013, but there were a handful of 30-60 day lates in 2013 (3 on EX, 4 on TU, and 4 on EQ). Dropped off a GW at the post office today.
  • USAA $25,000 personal loan: PIF and closed August 2014 (opened August 2009). Handful of 30-90 day lates in 2012 and 2013 (9 on all three bureaus between July 2012 and August 2013). Trying to decide if there's anything I can do with this one. If I ever get through to the USAA EO and have luck with the Amex GW request, I'll give this one a shot.
  • Synchrony Paypal: Closed by grantor in September 2013 with PIF balance of $455. There was one 30 day late payment in March 2013 that shows up on EX and TU. I haven't gotten around to GWing this one yet, since it's only one 30 day late and is more than 2 years old. If I have any success with the other two Synchrony products, though, I'll go ahead and eventually fire off a GW for this one.

And the updates for my other accounts and general progress:

Cap One QS1: I've got two of these bad boys, both with a $1500 limit, due to my old Platinum Mastercard being upgraded to a QS1 in April. I sent an email to the EO several weeks ago asking that the CL on my original QS1 be raised. After some phone tag, I finally had a chat with a rep in the EO and he put in a manual CLI request. I requested a CL of $10k (I can dream, right?!) and said I'd be fine with a partial CLI. I've got income of approximately $133k, rent of $1250, and DTI of approximately 19%, so the numbers should back up whatever sort of CL Cap One comes back with. Just to see if possible, I asked him if it was possible to close my second QS1 and move that CL over to the original QS1, but he said it was not possible. Hadn't thought it was, but figured I'd give it a shot.

NFCU CLOC: I applied last month, was conditionally approved, asked to submit proof of income/employment, submitted proof, and then was denied the following week, in the process gathering *3* new hard inquiries from NFCU on my report! Sent a SM asking why I was denied given that I'd submitted the requested info several weeks ago, and was told I'd have to submit a new application and call them to appeal. Sigh. I don't trust them to not hit me up for another hard inquiry, so I think I'm just going to pass on NFCU's CLOC until after I purchase a car later this summer.

Cap One Spark Classic: I'm going to call the EO next week and see if I can get this upgraded. Gonna wait to see what the results of the QS1 CLI increase are before I call again.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha, so I applied for a Chase Ink Cash on Friday and was denied. Applied on a whim, just wanted to see if I'd be able to get my foot in the door.

...and got a pre-approval letter in the mail yesterday for the Ink Cash. Oh, the irony!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent a SM to NFCU asking if submitting the appeal application for the CLOC would result in another hard pull and was told "There is no guarantee that a new credit report will not be pulled."

Nope. Not gonna risk getting a fourth HP for one account!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer. Got a snail mail denial to my Kohl's GW request today. I'll send another via snail mail next week and attempt to rebut the denial...hopefully I'll have luck with it, but I'm not holding my breath.

On a different note, I erroneously got my hopes up today with USAA. Got a letter from them with a new chipped credit card and the mailer said congrats on your $4500 limit. I hadn't requested a chip card, so at first I thought they had finally upped the limit on my $2000 limit card (that I've had, with the same limit) since 2007!

Nope. Turns out they just replaced my secured card... Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updates since my last post:

• Synchrony/Amazon - Got a denial letter (giving the whole "accurate reporting, etc" spiel) in reply to my GW request two weeks ago. Bummer. I'll send another in a few weeks.
  • USAA Amex - Still have not been able to get through to the EO rep who contacted me and haven't received anything in the mail from USAA. I think I'm just going to send another GW in a couple of weeks.
  • Synchrony/CareCredit - No response yet
  • Cap One QS1 - I put in a manual request with the EO for a CLI two weeks ago. He said I'd receive something in the mail within 5-7 business days. Nothing so far. I'm going to wait for another 2-3 days then call back.
  • Wells Fargo/Mattress Firm - I got a letter response to my GW from a month ago saying that I need to send it to Wells Fargo...despite me having sent it to Wells Fargo. Weird. Ok, I'll try again tomorrow.
  • The Bureaus - No response to either PFD I've sent over the last two months, so I'm going to send another tomorrow. Maybe I can annoy them into giving in :-)
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever have luck with KIA? If so, who did you speak to?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You started out with a lot of s**t (sorry i enjoy curse words) and not look at you...You are doing a grea f**king job...I hope you get that 10k limit with Capital One Smiley Happy

Keep us posted 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.