Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating charge offs???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating charge offs???

Need some advice...

I settled with, and paid each collection company and had 10 collections removed from my reports. I successfully disputed and got 7-8 (depends on which bureau) of the original corresponding, charged off accounts removed as well. The remaining 2-3 original accounts still show "CHARGED OFF" with a $0 balance.

Should i try to dispute the remaining original accounts to have them reflect as "PAYMENT AFTER CHARGE OFF/PAID IN FULL"??? with hopes of the credit bureaus removing these accounts all together? I'd like them removed but my goal is to have them show PAYMENT AFTER CHARGE OFF/PAID IN FULL.

Should i send the paid in full letters that i got from the collection companies, to the credit bureaus with my disputes as proof that the original accounts were paid? My fear is that the bureaus will somehow reinsert these old collection accounts if i send them proof that i paid the collection companies.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Updating charge offs???

No, if you dispute, it'll just come back verified and ding your scores more. If the OC sold the account, then they already got "paid" in a sense, but not by you. Hence, the CO stands and there was no payment after charge off by you, but rather they got paid by the CA that bought the debt, and there is no way to pay them anymore since they no longer own the account. The bureaus will not remove the OC accounts as that goes against their policies.

Anyway you paid the collection agency, not the OC, so there is no basis for having the OC change their reporting.

Best you can do is send GW letters to the OCs and hope for someone to take sympathy and remove it out of the kindness of their heart, because as I said, removal of a CO before the 7 year exclusion period technically goes against CRA policies.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

understood!

one thing additional...how does having charge-offs look to a mortgage lender? 

Message 3 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

understood!

one thing additional...how does having charge-offs look to a mortgage lender? 

I mean, a charge off means the debt went delinquent because it was severely past due, so mortgage lenders don't like it, but if it's at least paid and if you can explain why it occurred, usually they'll be fine.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A CO is usually mandated under federal regulations to be taken by certain creditors once a debt has reached certain period of delinquency, which is usually 120-days late for installment credit, and 180-days for revolving credit.

The CRAs then permit the creditor to alternately report the level of updated delinquency after a CO is taken as either the days since initial delinquency, such as 120-late, or simply as CO.  If the debt is ultimately paid, that does not mandate the removal of prior reporting under payment history profile of a reported CO status for any prior month.

Yes, once a debt is paid, even if it was previously charged-off, the CURRENT STATUS is required to updated to show Paid, $0 balance, with the additional comment that it was paid after a charge-off.  Thus, the current status in any reporting made after the debt was paid should properly read Paid, was a charge-off, and the currrent balance should also show $0.

The post states only that the account shows "CHARGED-OFF" with a $0 balance.   It does not state whether this references only that the account was, at some prior time, charged -off, or whether it references an incorrect current status of still being delinquent, or whether reference to charged-off occurs only in the payment history profile for a delinquency status for a prior month.

To dispute any asserted inaccuracy, the specific item of reported information must be clearly identified.

What, exactly, is the status or item of information that you are asserting to be an inaccurate reference in your credit report to a charge-off or prior delinquency status as such?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.