Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading score w/few options

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading score w/few options

I've read a lot of things about upgrading credit. Most don't seem to apply to my situation. My husband and I had great credit for years before we retired. We unfortunately had a credit card with a high balance due to a time/points share we were in and finally were able to give away to avoid yearly maintenance. All our other credit cards were paid off. Based on some early advice, I closed out all the credit cards after each was paid off. This left us with the behemoth one. The balance is about 74% of our yearly social security. On our credit report we have no negatives, no late payments ever. Nothing except this one card, which has a low interest rate. It has caused our credit scores to drop into the 664-649 range. 
My husband has had 2 strokes and numerous seizures, and we need to move closer to my only family. We have been where we are for  5 years. I am afraid that our credit score will hinder this even though we have nothing against us other than the size of that one balance. Any thoughts? Just an FYI - I can't work outside the home because I am his caregiver and he can't be left to his own devices. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Upgrading score w/few options

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read a lot of things about upgrading credit. Most don't seem to apply to my situation. My husband and I had great credit for years before we retired. We unfortunately had a credit card with a high balance due to a time/points share we were in and finally were able to give away to avoid yearly maintenance. All our other credit cards were paid off. Based on some early advice, I closed out all the credit cards after each was paid off. This left us with the behemoth one. The balance is about 74% of our yearly social security. On our credit report we have no negatives, no late payments ever. Nothing except this one card, which has a low interest rate. It has caused our credit scores to drop into the 664-649 range. 
My husband has had 2 strokes and numerous seizures, and we need to move closer to my only family. We have been where we are for  5 years. I am afraid that our credit score will hinder this even though we have nothing against us other than the size of that one balance. Any thoughts? Just an FYI - I can't work outside the home because I am his caregiver and he can't be left to his own devices. 

I would try to get a few new cards you may get lucky if you have a long history and then dont use them, it will help with the overall utilization. If you are denied after 2 attempts I would quit until you work some more of that balance down. I dont think it will be that much of a hinderance especially if you can get into a Sec 8 complex and only have to pay 30% after gross is adjusted for medical bills. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrading score w/few options

I don't have any advice, but I'd like to offer you and your husband all my best!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.