Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Platinum like Debit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Platinum like Debit

Just got my new Cap1 Platinum on Saturday ..... $1,000 limit

I'm gonna try the method of buying what I normally pay for throughout the week as many in here have mentioned for "usage" purposes (?) and pay the balance in full every single week. Only thing is that I've paid all my bills for the month of May & don't pay anything else until by the 9th when I get paid again so all I have charged so far is $24 gas I pumped this AM & a large one topping from papa johns yesterday with popeyes. 

For all who have done the heavy usage with their cap1 accounts & only let 9% report by the cut date, what was your cli after the 2nd-3rd statement cut?? Also, when did you begin the process of requesting a PC to the Quicksilver? My understanding so far is to wait after the 1st stament for the product change (PC).... I can only spend between $700-$800 every month w/bills & such because I'm saving to pay off my last collection. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using Platinum like Debit

With normal usage (an occasional bill, eating out, etc) mine and hubby's cards (QS1 and upgraded QS for both) we got $1000 CLI on each (500 sl). My newest upgraded QS I've been using like a debit card but haven't gotten the CLI yet (63 das as of today). Should have it by late next week at the latest. Will try to remember to let you know what I get
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, please keep me posted .... & nice increases on the other cards btw

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't answer about the CLI ... still getting the "Account too New" message. Getting closer though ... hoping to get a CLI by the end of next week. 

However, I converted my Plat to a QS after like 25 days I believe. I know I posted it here before, but I don't recall where, and I'm heading out the door. 

But it's quite possible to get the conversion done before your first statement cuts. 

Message 4 of 10
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Wow! Papa Johns AND Popeye's? Party at your house, I'll bring the beer!

But seriously, I personally can't get my cap 1 to grow if my life depended on it. I'm hoping you will have better success with it. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

In theory, if you put good usage on the card and keep paying responsibly, you should reap benefits.

Keep in mind ymmv though. You'll see many threads where people put high spend and pay month after month, but their limit really does not budge. Each situation can be different with many variables factoring in once the time for the increase comes.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I PC'd my platinum to a QS after the second statement and got a CLI on request after the 3rd statement.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got my CLI on my newest QS (day 73). Been using it as my debit card and paying it off weekly. I've ran about 2000 thru it every month since I got it (500 sl) and got 1000 today
Message 8 of 10
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Capital One is a strange beast. I am not quite sure that usage plays that much of a factor with them...

I've had both of my cards since February and put heavy usage on 1, very little on the other. My utilization was over 70% on one and maybe 30% on the other and they both got the same $500 CLI, at the same time. 

I DO use my QS1 like a debit card and then just make a payment on payday, coverage whatever I charged. Sometimes I PIF, sometimes not. Now that my Platinum has been converted to a QS (no annual fee), I am using them interchangeably and once credit steps kicks in, I can hopefully combine them.

So the moral of the story is; use your card as you wish, just be sure to pay on time. And make more than the minimum payment!

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I hit the luv button today and got approved for a $1K increase!!! 

I'm TERRIBLY excited by this ... to have a card with a four digit limit. I know, compared to others it's not a lot, but it proves I'm moving in the right direction. 

Wisco ... for your reference. 

Today is my 64th day since the card opened. And since then I've run right around $1K through my card, so really not a lot. Also, as I noted earlier, I PCd the card from a Plat to a QS after 25 days. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.