Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility company screwed me

tag
nhandzel
Valued Member

Utility company screwed me

Hey everyone,

I previously owed $278 to WOW for cable/internet service. I called on 07/15 and pif. While I was on the line I advised them that I was making the payment in full to avoid collections. Yesterday I checked the mail and found a collections notice from CMI - Credit Management LP for $278 plus cost of equipment dated 07/14. If I DV this, do you think they would have to ensure it doesn't hit my credit? What should I do? GW both the OC and the CA?

Thanks guys, This was my final debt that needed to paid and of course I get a final collections notice. Please help me out!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: Utility company screwed me

i had a similiar situation.  get on the phone with cable co collections department. tell them you paid already - get the cable company to call the collection company to straighten it out. i just moved and went to another carrier so when you close out a utility, be careful with them....very different than transferring service. cabel and collections were on the phone with me - all three of us - the CA was told it was an error by the cable company. that should be the end of that - but keep your eyes open for the mail for any further CA notices and most importantly, take care of it BEFORE it hits your account. much more work to correct a mistake when it hits....

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
nhandzel
Valued Member

Thank you for your quick response. I'll call the utility company now and see if I can get all 3 of us on the line together. I found the CEO's e-mail as well, ill see if he can help.
Message 3 of 4
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

you might have to call the collections department at your cable company on  monday - they have the 8 am to  5 pm m-f hours (at least my cable company did)....don't talk to a bufoon at the cable company in billing. waste of time....you will get this straightend out! good luck.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.