cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilizing available credit

tag
jamie2066

Utilizing available credit

I have credit scores in the mid 600's.  I have a few lates from 6 years ago, but the thing that's hurting my score the most is I'm using 89% of my available credit...according to FICO.

So, my question is....I'm an authorized user on my wife's Home Depot card.  It has a $7,500 balance of the available $10,500 credit limit.  But we've made perfect on time payments since 2013.  Would my score benefit if she took me off as a user or would it be a wash, since we've made all of our payments on time over a 4 year period?

The Home Depot balance represents 50% of my utilized credit and 60% of my total credit available.  It's a big chunk.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilizing available credit

Do you have any of your own cards or loans?

Message 2 of 7
jamie2066

Yes.  The rest (7 credit cards) are all mine.  Just wondered since the HD Card is 1/2 my revolving debt.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are current and in good standing with those accounts, I would imagine it would give you a bump as it would lower your utilization. I'm not sure, though. Hopefully someone with more direct experience can help you more. :-)

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

More info would be required in order to determine if the overall scoring impact of being an AU on that account is positive or negative.

Clearly, being at such a high % util on a relatively high credit limit account is negative, and % util of revolving credit is weighted significantly in scoring.

Not stated is whether the higher-weighted category of payment history or the lower-weighted category of length of credit are helping or hurting.

Being on time in payments over the last four years does not paint the entire payment history picture.  Were their reported derogs four or more years ago that are still affecting scoring?  Are there any major derogs on the account?

Is the age of the AU account longer or shorter than your current overall average age of accounts?

Finally, as an additional consideration, any time you have an AU included in your scoring, it automatically results in the credit score no longer being representative of an evaluation of only your own personal credit history.  A potential creditor, in reviewing an application for credit, has no way of backing out the impact of the AU on your score, and produce a "real" score that represents an evaluation of only your own credit history.  They have the same uncertainty as to its overall effect as you currently have.

Some creditors, such as a mortgage lendor, may even require removal of any AUs as a condition of their underwriting process in order to obtain a score that is based only on your own personal evaluation.

If at all in doubt and you expect to be applying for new credit where the creditor is likely to do a manual review, and thus be aware that your score is based in part on the credit history of another, then ditching the AU account might be advisable, regardless of whether it is increasing your three digit score.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well being your wife and she having you as an AU I would think you will have to help her pay that account off anyways. Now if that account is not flawless and shows any derogatory even 1 late I would get out. My point is either way in or out you have to help pay that bill lol.
Message 6 of 7
jamie2066

I'll try an answer your questions to see if that helps.

I have 3 lates, one from an auto loan and two from a school loan, from 6 years ago.  Those are my only lates.

The AU account in question, Home Depot, is current and there have never been any lates on the account.  It's in perfect standing since 2013 when we opened it.

The age of the AU account is is one of my oldest among my CURRENT open accounts.

Additional info: (if this helps)

I currently have a $23,000 balance on all my revolving credit accounts with my overall credit limits equaling $$27,500. (83% usage)

The AU Home Depot account has a balance of $7,500 with a credit limit of $10,500. (72% usage)

So, if I were to remove the AU Home Depot from my account, that would change my revolving balance to $15,500 with an overall credit limit of $17,000. (91% usage).

Which benfits me more, the lower usuage % (keeping the Home Depot account) or the lower balance (removing the Home Depot account)?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.