Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VZW Settlement Letter

tag
aot2009
Regular Contributor

Re: VZW Settlement Letter

Yea they said I was current after the 30 day which I know I wasn't because I had BK right after ....but I'm sending new disputes to the CRA with proof, I'm hoping that will fix the crap they pull, they only gained one more year of being able to report and DOFD is in March of 2011 for 7 years, but I'll need to wait another 180 days because it was marked Charge off. Gotta love Americredit.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the cons if I accept the settlement?

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What are the cons if I accept the settlement?

As long as you get a General Release from them when you settle, the only con I see if that they can send you a 1099 and the "forgiven" amount will be treated as taxable income.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, then that's it... I'll certainly settle if that's the only con. I just didn't want the debt to reage.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, then that's it... I'll certainly settle if that's the only con. I just didn't want the debt to reage.

Understandable.  Payment can not reset the DOFD, though in some states it can toll the SOL.  Still, since you will be getting a General Release the SOL is irrelevant. 

Have you given up on hopes for a PFD?  You said you tried using PlanetFeedback three times, but did you try to approach the creditor directly?

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Understandable.  Payment can not reset the DOFD, though in some states it can toll the SOL.  Still, since you will be getting a General Release the SOL is irrelevant. 

Have you given up on hopes for a PFD?  You said you tried using PlanetFeedback three times, but did you try to approach the creditor directly?

Yes, basically I've given up on PFD... I've spoken to an executive assistant 3x, 2 supervisors in their recovery department, and shot an email to a PR person early this week and I've come up blank (all of which are from the OC)... I plan one last shot when I call in to settle. I'll ask for a supervisor and  I'll do the routine again... If all else fails I'll settle on the spot with a promise for a GR... Do I ask them to send it to me once I pay them? How does it work?

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, basically I've given up on PFD... I've spoken to an executive assistant 3x, 2 supervisors in their recovery department, and shot an email to a PR person early this week and I've come up blank (all of which are from the OC)... I plan one last shot when I call in to settle. I'll ask for a supervisor and  I'll do the routine again... If all else fails I'll settle on the spot with a promise for a GR... Do I ask them to send it to me once I pay them? How does it work?

It's generally best to hand them the money order with one hand and get the GR in the other, but it's not always practical.

What you can do is tell them that once they receive payment and it clears, to send you a General Release.  Further, I would advise paying by personal check and not a m.o. or cashiers check.  On the back of your personal check add a restrictive endorsement stating that encashment of this check constitutes payment in full and a general release from future liability for this debt.

Write the account number on the face of the check and in the "Memo" section write: Payment in Full.

Save any e-mail or correspondence they've sent you and keep careful notes of who you talk to, when you talk to them and what is said.

That should suffice to cover your rear if things go sour.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's generally best to hand them the money order with one hand and get the GR in the other, but it's not always practical.

What you can do is tell them that once they receive payment and it clears, to send you a General Release.  Further, I would advise paying by personal check and not a m.o. or cashiers check.  On the back of your personal check add a restrictive endorsement stating that encashment of this check constitutes payment in full and a general release from future liability for this debt.

Write the account number on the face of the check and in the "Memo" section write: Payment in Full.

Save any e-mail or correspondence they've sent you and keep careful notes of who you talk to, when you talk to them and what is said.

Fantastic info here O6!! I really appreciate it! This should be pinned.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One important distinction:  This restrictive endorsement only works in your case because you have already reached a settlement agreement with the creditor.  If you had no such agreement, this type of restrictive endorsement would be useless.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One important distinction:  This restrictive endorsement only works in your case because you have already reached a settlement agreement with the creditor.  If you had no such agreement, this type of restrictive endorsement would be useless.

Gotchya! Thanks again!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.