cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacating a judgement - reprocussions on the creditor?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vacating a judgement - reprocussions on the creditor?

We are trying to get approved for a home loan. We have a judgement on our report from a past landlord in 2011. I've contacted him to pay it, and he is going to meet me at the court house. Obviously, it would be better for our credit if we could get the judgement vacated, so I've considered asking him if he would do that, as long as we pay what he says we owe him (About $950). Would there be any negative reprocussions for him to do this? Also, we are trying to do a rapid rescore on our credit, so how long would the vacating process take? Is it as simple as him going in and signing a paper, or is it some long process?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vacating a judgement - reprocussions on the creditor?

@Anonymous wrote:

We are trying to get approved for a home loan. We have a judgement on our report from a past landlord in 2011. I've contacted him to pay it, and he is going to meet me at the court house. Obviously, it would be better for our credit if we could get the judgement vacated, so I've considered asking him if he would do that, as long as we pay what he says we owe him (About $950). Would there be any negative reprocussions for him to do this? Also, we are trying to do a rapid rescore on our credit, so how long would the vacating process take? Is it as simple as him going in and signing a paper, or is it some long process?

Only a judge can vacate a judgment, it would be best if the plaintiff files the motion to vacate on grounds its been paid but if he isnt willing then if your state allows you can file the motion yourself. There is no set time period on how long it takes to get done, once the plaintiff signs the form its been satisfied it will be picked up by agencies who send runners to the courthouse to gather the info to sell it to the CRAs it will then update to a paid collection typically 30-60 days after it is recorded by the clerk as such.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.