Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation requirements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Validation requirements

Okay, so in my search about how to deal with the law firm/CA who is suing us, I read on a lawyer's website that all the "stuff" we want back to validate a debt is not needed and that really they just have to provide the amount of debt and the name of the original creditor. He said by requesting anything else, like signed documents, proof of debt, SOL, if they are licensed, etc. is just foolish and shows the CA we don't know what we are doing, and just getting stuff off the internet.

What the heck? I mean, if someone says, "You owe this money," I want to see real proof!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Validation requirements

I know I'm not any help---but I have to agree with you 100%. Seems only fair.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Established Member

But at the end it does not matter what they think, because regardless if they think we dont know what we doing, they still have to play by the law.
I dont understand what typ of proof this is suppose to be, just the original creditor and amount of debt. Most people can get this info from their credit report, that does not make it valid. This lawyer obviously doesnt know what he is talking about. I am not a lawyer, but if it was that easy to validate, a lot of us would be in big trouble. What about all the people that got these bogus bills from Afni Inc. from old Verizon accounts, people who never had Verizon, or some so old that the person that they sent them to was like 10 years old at the time? They are scammers and thank god we have some protection. 
I totally agree with you, I want to see a little more then some print out from their computers with a number and a name on it and "Pay it now'
TransUnion
695Date: 5/11/2008
Equifax
670Date: 5/13/2008
Experian
672Date: 5/13/2008
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right. What about those CAs who can't even provide a letter with your name on it? That is what really bugs me. They have NOTHING to stand on and they can still put these things on your CR or sue you. I understand we have to pay our bills, but if we don't recognize the name of the creditor, or the amount, or anything, we should be able to demand real proof that this is MY debt.

I have been working on my husband's credit for a while now and I love this board. Thanks to everyone for help and advice, and allowing us to complain a bit and vent. The support is great.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean what is the difference between the collection notice that people receive in the mail and this suppose Validation documents this lawyer talkes about? I dont see no difference. The collection notice usually contains the amount and the Original creditor, but this doesnt make it the debt of the consumer that they send this notice to. Maybe this lawyer is not a lawyer, maybe he is a collecter Smiley Happy
I can't believe that people actually pay him for these services. If that is all that is required, I dont need a lawyer, I can ask for this at myself. Thanks god we have other options to beat these scammers.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.