Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Collection Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon Collection Help!

Hello,

I never thought I'd ever have to post in this section of the forum since I normally dwell on the credit card section and am in the habit of paying my bills on time. But recently my mother has called me asking for help with a collection and Verizon.

About 4 years ago, my mom and I left the US to go overseas but she did not realize the Verizon has sent us a bill couple weeks after we left. Unaware, we did not pay the bill and it went into collections. Now my mom is looking into moving back into the US, getting a house, and credit and she realized that there was a collection on her credit report. Since her English isn't great, she's asking me for help in removing it and paying the bill.

How do I go about this "goodwill" letter? Do they usually work? And would it be advisable to pay the bill first or contact them first through phone/fax/snail mail? They've told my mom to pay the bill ASAP. Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verizon Collection Help!

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I never thought I'd ever have to post in this section of the forum since I normally dwell on the credit card section and am in the habit of paying my bills on time. But recently my mother has called me asking for help with a collection and Verizon.

About 4 years ago, my mom and I left the US to go overseas but she did not realize the Verizon has sent us a bill couple weeks after we left. Unaware, we did not pay the bill and it went into collections. Now my mom is looking into moving back into the US, getting a house, and credit and she realized that there was a collection on her credit report. Since her English isn't great, she's asking me for help in removing it and paying the bill.

How do I go about this "goodwill" letter? Do they usually work? And would it be advisable to pay the bill first or contact them first through phone/fax/snail mail? They've told my mom to pay the bill ASAP. Smiley Frustrated

You wouldn't want to send a GW because GWs are for paid baddies. In this example, you'd want to send a PFD. They'll always tell someone to pay ASAP, so don't sweat any collection efforts. Just keep the debt in mind prior to the mortgage app, because the lender-to-be may require it to be paid. I'd send PFDs now, but eventually you may have to pay it and GW later.

Message 3 of 12
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

Verizon will NOT delete. They are next to impossible..

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies!

@Kevin5974 wrote:
Verizon will NOT delete. They are next to impossible..

Agh! Just what I didn't want to hear... Is it easier if they have passed it off to a CA? It's been over 3 years since my mom has paid the debt.

Also I'm guessing a paid collection is better than an unpaid one in the eyes of FICO?

Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If Verizon is still the party attempting to collect on the debt, then they are not a debt collector unless they are using some other name that implies they are using the services of another.  Thus, you appear to have a "collection" in the sense of their actions, but not a "collection" by a debt collector.

Is a third party debt collector reporting in addition to the OC, or is it just Verizon?

It is definately a negative if they refer the collection to a debt collector,as the debt collector can report a collection, which becomes an additional derog.

A PFD would attempt to get deletion of whatever derogs the OC has reported, but is a risk.

They could take additional actions, such as doing a charge-off of the debt if they have not yet done so, referring to a debt collector, or if still within SOL, suing.

If there is a debt collector reporting, did they purchase the debt?  If so, you cannot make any payment, PFD or otherwise, to the OC.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit report (Equifax) just reports a collection account by some agency called Pinnacle. There's no mention of Verizon what so ever. But I've called Verizon customer service and they told me that the account went into collections long ago to a CA that's "owned" by Verizon. He had no way of accessing the balance and told me to call another Verizon number.

Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"Went into collection" does not paint the picture.

A debt collector can either be an agent of the OC, with assignment of collection authority on their behalf, or could be the new owner of the debt.

Does the OC still legally own the debt?  If they do not, you must offer PFD to the debt collector, not the OC.

I would presume that the debt collector is legally a separte entity, even though they have some corporate affiliation with the OC?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that may be the case. How do I confirm this though?

I will be calling Verizon's CA # tomorrow so perhaps it will answer some questions. I will report back!

Message 9 of 12
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Ve...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Verizon-Wireless-Deletion-Successful/m-p/1760...

I was able to delete. It is not impossible

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.