Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victoria’s Secret Comenity Charge off problem

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Victoria’s Secret Comenity Charge off problem

Ok, so I messed up and I know I did so please be kind but I'm really looking for some advice because the shopping cart truck has been working for me lately at least here in there and I'm trying to just increase my available credit in general, I have two collections accounts, one was for a Victoria's Secret card I had about six years ago that was sold to a collections agency about five years ago. So I was told online Tonight that I was approved for a card for $500 with Victoria's Secret and I thought well that's strange because it had gone to collections like five years ago and then I thought well maybe because it was charged off they're willing to give me another chance who knows. I had just gotten approved for two other Commenity card a few days ago with the shopping cart trick, (Express and Williams Sonoma), so I figured my foot was back in the door and why not go for this one too. So I filled out the last four of my social etc. went to submit and it kept bringing Me back to the top of the page. Well this happened before and when I called it in with some other card I don't remember now, it was just verifying some thing and then I was approved. So I stupidly called and the woman from Victoria's Secret card Comenity was immediately rude with me as soon as I gave her the last four of my social and she said I have a file hear that your account is in collections and we bought it back from the collection agency and tried to get me to pay. But while I had her on the phone I logged into my credit monitoring apps and sure enough The collection agency is still reporting on my credit report so I thought that was really strange I didn't directly acknowledge ownership of the debt but I did give her my address and simply said that I wanted some sort of summary of what exactly community owns regarding this account. She told me that she did not have to send me that and wanted me to pay. It just doesn't make sense because if it was sold to a collection agency how can they demand money from me? And also wouldn't it still be on my credit report with the collection agency even if I did pay her? The collection agency is still reporting on my credit report so I thought that was really strange I didn't directly acknowledge ownership of the debt but I did give her my address and simply said that I wanted some sort of summary of what exactly community owns regarding this account. She told me that she did not have to send me that and wanted me to pay. It just doesn't make sense because if it was sold to a collection agency how can they demand money from me? And also wouldn't it still be on my credit report with the collection agency even if I did pay her? And does this mean that it's now going to be reported by Commenity to the CRAs on top of the Portoflio reporting it too? Or that the clock is set all over again? I was going through a nasty divorce when this all went down and at the time I literally was homelsss for a bit that's why it went into collections. Am I just screwed now. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
satio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Victoria’s Secret Comenity Charge off problem

While I guess it is entirely possible that Comenity has reacquired the debt back from Portfolio Recovery I would find that hard to believe.

By the time PRA acquires a debt it has already been charged off by the original creditor and it is my understanding such debts are purchased in bulk portfolios of bad debt from OC by PRA for pennies on the dollar.

I think it is more likely that your past history with Comenity for this account has not been flushed from their systems and giving them your SSN allowed your history to be seen by the CSR. 

The fact that the CSR in turn attempted to acquire a payment from you is baffling however.

If it is your intention to never pay the debt, radio silence would be the answer.

If you are considering settling it, you could contact PRA to confirm if in fact they still own it.

That would be my suggestion.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank-you for the reply. It didn't make sense to me because PRA is still reporting to the CRAs... 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question if I may ask just seeing how your scores are so good, how did you personally deal with any charge offs/collections if any? Pay for delete? Let them fall off..?

Message 4 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Portfolio does purchase debt but also collects on behalf of creditors.

The easiest way to find out, if you really want to, is to call and ask who owns this debt.

If it's Portfolio that owns it, negotiate a settlement amount, and once you're done paying, it will get deleted.

I doubt very much that Comenity owns this debt. It's way too old. 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank-you very much for the response. 

Message 6 of 16
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Question if I may ask just seeing how your scores are so good, how did you personally deal with any charge offs/collections if any? Pay for delete? Let them fall off..?

My baddies were (3) Charge Offs from Capital One, (2) of which were still held by Capital One and (1) account that had been sold off to PRA.

The Cap1 account held by PRA I was able to settle for 50 percent of the balance on record and they removed per their stated policy.

The accounts still held by Cap1...

1. Cap1 CO from 2013 used Moss Law (I'm in Texas) and sued back in 2014 and won a default judgement against me. I settled again for 50 percent which now has 0 balance and is reported as "Paid, Settled for Less" and will reach its 7 years fall off date later this year.

2. Cap1 never pursued this account which also charged off in 2013. When I contacted them in early 2019 they indicated they were no longer pursuing payment for the account and their was no way for them to accept a payment from me. I countered that if Cap1 will not allow me to make a payment then it would seem inappropriate to continue to report the deliquency. I did not expect it to be so simple but within 30 days the account was deleted.

I had couple of other active CC accounts held high balances to the total CL for each. I just threw money at them and paid them off along with the CO accounts mentioned above.

With all the above cleared up my scores had climbed from where they started to 670s by August 2019.

I then opened accounts with NFCU and took out an SSL loan to give me an installment as I have no active mortgage, auto, or other installment. This I immediately paid down to < 8.9 percent and gives me a 5 year installment with no payment due till 2024 and boosted me to 690s by November.

I picked up an AMEX BCP and a NFCU Cash Rewards CC during the same time frame.

My scores bump +5 or so every month now bringing me to where I am today.

I figure by August-September when the last CO falls off I should be to my 2020 goal of 740+

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank-you so much for sharing. It really helps me to know because I'm just starting out over the past year to fix my credit. 

Message 8 of 16
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank-you so much for sharing. It really helps me to know because I'm just starting out over the past year to fix my credit. 

You are most welcome.

The membership represented here in the myFICO community is a wonderful resource for guidance and support to accomplishing your goals.

You've taken the first step in making a conscious effort to repair and begin the recovery process.

Some things just take time to age, it takes time for items settled to clear off and be reflected in your CRA profiles, so patience can sometimes be the most difficult part of the process.

Onward!

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also want to add on that if you don't have any intention to pay the debt you could let it naturally fall of your credit report after 7 years. If you do intend to pay the debt, Portfolio does pay for delete as long as the debt is 2 years old, which in this case it is. It really depends on what your intentions are and if you have the means to pay of the debt. I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.