Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Violation of FCRA?

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Re: Violation of FCRA?

What I am looking at is the fact that my report from 01/13/2012 says it is to be recorded until 2017 while my new report is saying until 2019. They had to have changed something in order to add an additional two years to it, right? 

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 11 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Look at the payment "blocks," and check for variances between the green ok's, if you have the online report in front of you.

..how is this debtor reporting? Collection, factoring company, open, closed?

Message 12 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

If the DOFD was changed and both CR's can show that it is a clear violation of the FCRA. Did you make any payments to them or agreed to anything with them?

Message 13 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

All your DaBears. I'm off. My bedtime. I'll read it later on tonight.

Message 14 of 19
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

If the DOFD was changed and both CR's can show that it is a clear violation of the FCRA. Did you make any payments to them or agreed to anything with them?

No, no payment arrangements or anything.  The only reason I even caught this is because I found all my reports I pulled from Jan 2012 and it clearly shows the fall off date is 2017 but the new dates show 2019.  This is showing as a charge off and was updated on my credit Oct 2012.

Message 15 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 16 of 19
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

I will have to get them scanned onto the computer so it will probably be this afternoon but I definitely will!

Message 17 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

No, no payment arrangements or anything.  The only reason I even caught this is because I found all my reports I pulled from Jan 2012 and it clearly shows the fall off date is 2017 but the new dates show 2019.  This is showing as a charge off and was updated on my credit Oct 2012.

Fall Off Dates can be wrong. They are wrong alot.

We need to see the concrete DOFD when you get a chance to scan.. are they third party reports or direct from the CRA?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 18 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with rckstrscott.

As I understand the thread of the post,  the OC reported a charge-off on the account, which required them to report the DOFD on their account to the CRA within 90 days thereafter.

The issue is apparently the assumption, based on a restatement of the expected CR exclusion date, that the OC has now reported a new DOFD of two years later.

They apparently updated the current balance on the account.  That is not reporting of an updated DOFD.  While the reporting of the updated balance may have occured at the same time the expected exclusion date was changed, that does not mean that the OC actually reported a change in the DOFD.  CRAs generate expected exclusion dates, they are not "reported" by the creditor.

One needs conclusive evidence that they actually reported an updated DOFD, and that the update is inaccurate, in order to support a dispute.

Unless the CR clearly states the DOFD, one would need to get the actual DOFD reported to the CRA in order to assert a violation of FCRA 623(a)(5), which controls the reporting of a DOFD.  That can be done by way of a request under FCRA 609(a)(1).

If a dispute is filed regarding the accuracy of the reported DOFD that is supported by documentation of actual DOFD, the issue on dipute would be the correction of that reporting, not of the CO. 

The CRA, under their reinvestigation of accuracy, will reinvestigate  the accuracy of that date. 

I dont see deletion of a DOFD as a possible outcome, as that would leave the file with no DOFD upon which they can determine the max statutory exclusion date. 

If the CRA determines either that the new reporting is inaccurate or that they did not report a new DOFD, then the resolution would be acceptance of what the consumer asserts in the dispute.... use of the prior DOFD.

I dont see that the issue is ripe for establishing a clear, improper reaging of a reported DOFD.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.