Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT SHOULD I DO???

tag
miltolam
Valued Member

WHAT SHOULD I DO???

Good afternoon myFICO community. I'm proud to say that I've now taken my second step to credits prosperity (first step chapter 7) by actively participating on this forum. With each others help, we can all reach our goals. Right now I need some advice; last year I filed for bankruptcy and it was discharged in 8/11. In sept/2011, I applied for a Cap1 and Orchard Bank cc and were approved for both. Both cards were very low CL (Cap1 $500, today $750, Orchard Bank $320, today $420) but until this very day, I have paid them both on time and has utilized no more than 25% of my limit. In addition to that, I have about $32k combined of student loan which I have also been faitfully paying for some time now. Aside from these cards and the student loans, I the only derogatoric information I have on my credit report is the Bankruptcy, a few inquiriries and the 8 or 9 accounts that I claimed in my BK case.

After my BK was discharged in 8/11 my scores were in the high 500's, as of today my EQ 655, TU 639, and EX 640. I'm somewhat pleased with the improvement but I would like it to be higher. By the end of 2012, I'm hoping to get approved for at least an 23k auto load with my credit union (PenFed or NavyFed) but I'm going to wait until the end of the year so that I can give myself more time to improve my score some more.

myFICO community, aside from the obvious of paying my bills on time, keeping a low balance, and being patient, is there's anyting else I can do to augment my scores within these next 4 months? I'm thinking of maybe sending one of those "magical" dispute letters to try to delete some of those old accounts that have been included in my bankruptcy but will that make a difference or will it make things worse? Anyway, please let me know and as always, thank you for all your help in advance.Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 502
Current Score: 502
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT SHOULD I DO???

I take it your elegible for nfcu products? if so I would jump on a cc with them and start building with them.  As far as a magical DISPUTE letter, im hoping your not planning on disputing accurate info on your reports cause that could make things worse

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 16
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

I take it your elegible for nfcu products? if so I would jump on a cc with them and start building with them.  As far as a magical DISPUTE letter, im hoping your not planning on disputing accurate info on your reports cause that could make things worse

+1 Good advice!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 16
miltolam
Valued Member

@rootpooty wrote:

@rootpooty...Ok, so I won't dispute then. As for NFCU, I was actually thinking of applying for a cc but not until next year. I'm seeing ppl on here with scores lower than mines claiming they're getting approved for cl with them for 6-8k plus. I just don't want to take another hit on my scores. My objective is to apply for an auto loan with them in December and hopefully get approved with a decent apr for up to 20-25k. I didn't plan on applying for any credit before that; the FICO simulator says that my scores would drop a little bit if I had applied for a new line of credit. What would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 16
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I'd try getting an NFCU card now. It will help build some history with them before you app for the auto loan. If you get the NFCU card it will only help your scores.

Message 5 of 16
miltolam
Valued Member

@jamie123 wrote:

I'd try getting an NFCU card now. It will help build some history with them before you app for the auto loan. If you get the NFCU card it will only help your scores.

@Anonymous, would it make a difference if I did it over the phone, online, etc? And are they bk friendly? Thx again.

Message 6 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Credit does not care how you apply for it.  just apply.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 16
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@miltolam wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

@Anonymous, would it make a difference if I did it over the phone, online, etc? And are they bk friendly? Thx again.

It doesn't matter how you apply.

You may however be denied at first because of the BK. Be prepared to do a recon.

Message 8 of 16
miltolam
Valued Member

@jamie123 wrote:

@miltolam wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

You may however be denied at first because of the BK. Be prepared to do a recon.

Recon??? Pardon my ignorance but what's that? Thanks.

Message 9 of 16
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@miltolam wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

@miltolam wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

Recon??? Pardon my ignorance but what's that? Thanks.

Reconsideration.. most have backdoor phone numbers where you can speak to someone and they might reconsider your application pending some information ect ct

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.