Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart hard or soft pull?

tag
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Walmart hard or soft pull?

Anyone have an idea? I've only found things on CLI for Walmart being a soft pull, but not for applying for a Walmart store card.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart hard or soft pull?

You get a HP for applying.  They will most likely pull TU.  Also, anecdotal evidence suggests that you have a better chance of approval and a better initial CL if you apply in-store, and more specifically, at the registers in the electronics or jewelry departments.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Leadberry wrote:

You get a HP for applying.  They will most likely pull TU.  Also, anecdotal evidence suggests that you have a better chance of approval and a better initial CL if you apply in-store, and more specifically, at the registers in the electronics or jewelry departments.

+1

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I went to the website to apply late last year. I was logged in and when I went to the apply for the walmart credit card screen it told me I was pre-approved for the walmart card with a CL of $700. It was not a full app, just asked for my full social, dob and address. Nothing about income or anything else.
After applying I had to call in and answer a few security questions and she told me I was approved for the store card with a $700 CL. No HP ever showed up. I am very happy, but I am sure it is a rare experience.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Epcot wrote:

I went to the website to apply late last year. I was logged in and when I went to the apply for the walmart credit card screen it told me I was pre-approved for the walmart card with a CL of $700. It was not a full app, just asked for my full social, dob and address. Nothing about income or anything else.
After applying I had to call in and answer a few security questions and she told me I was approved for the store card with a $700 CL. No HP ever showed up. I am very happy, but I am sure it is a rare experience.

Very rare! Good job haha

Mine was def a hard pull, on TU

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 8
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@Epcot wrote:

The same thing happened for me with Victoria's Secret & Express, although I didn't do the express one. I was curious to see if that happens for Walmart too. 

Message 6 of 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Walmart is a YMMV

If you apply for the card it usually consist of a hard pull.

If you are selected for a pre approval while signed in on their site or during check out it results in a soft pull only.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 8
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

Walmart is a YMMV

If you apply for the card it usually consist of a hard pull.

If you are selected for a pre approval while signed in on their site or during check out it results in a soft pull only.

I tried the shopping card trick and it didn't work so I guess I'm not pre-approval material... yet! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.