Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warrant in Debt for Vet Bill from 2013

tag
poooookah78
Established Member

Warrant in Debt for Vet Bill from 2013

I got a letter in the mail the other day for a Warrant in Debt for a vet bill from 2013.  It's from our vet, but we have gone there since this date and haven't had any issues with any billing.  I honestly don't know what this is for and there have been no letters, phone calls, etc. from them or any form of collection agency up until now.  It's a small amount, only around 200 dollars and we can easily pay this, I'm just more pissed that we're getting this now, after 6 years with no communication previous to this.  There is no detail on the warrant, only the amount. 

What should I do?  Again, more pissed at the communication or lack there of than anything... this has been our vet for a long time and we have used them since this date.  I honestly can't remember anything outstanding and I would imagine that we would have gotten something from them if there were a debt outstanding.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Warrant in Debt for Vet Bill from 2013

I would contact the party that took the warrant ( vet, attorney etc) and try to settle before it goes to court. If that isn't possible, then definitely go to the hearing. If you dont, they could win a default judgement against you.
Imnot sure if you can request a debt validation at this point, but you can certainly try.

Good luck!
Message 2 of 8
poooookah78
Established Member

Thanks very much for the reply.   I can definitely do that... I'm worried though that if I do that, it will reset any kind of negative credit reporting.  Haven't done a pull yet but I have tons of different credit monitoring services from my 3 credit cards and haven't seen this pop up as a credit alert.  Do you know for sure if this will definitely go on my credit?  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DoFD will remain the same.  It will not change if you ask the vet to validate the debt.  Talk to your vet before you do anything.  I think it would be odd that they would let you continue using their services if  had an outstanding bill, or that they would not have tacked that amount onto the another bill.  It is entirely possible that this debt is someone else's and there was simply a clerical error.  This is why you need to speak to your vet.  If it is your debt, ask them to recall the debt and say that you will pay in full if the remove from CRAs.

Message 4 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Get IN FRONT OF THIS NOW.  Call.  Make an arrangement.  Ask for validation.  Could be an internal error.

Message 5 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Look through your receipts from recent vet appointments (or any that you may have on hand) and see if it shows a balance left over.  I can not imagine my vet letting something like this go for 6 years without trying to collect on it when ever I'm in there.  Sounds like it could be an error on the vet's accounting part.  If any invovices from your visits to the office since then show a zero balance, take it all down to the Vets office and ask them whats going on. In the mean time, if the court date comes up before then, then please do as others have mentioned and SHOW UP!  There have been many people end up owing by default, for something that isn't their debt.  Good Luck!

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 6 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Another thought, what is the SOL in your state?  If this is 6 years old,  it's crazy that it hasn't been turned over to a collection agency WAY before now.  At any rate,   validation is irrelevant since it's most likely past the SOL and you still need to show up and  tell the judge what you've told us that you have no idea what it's for and the creditor has had plenty of opportunity to bring it up since you are still their customer.  Point out to the judge that a 6 year old debt is also past the SOL anyway. Then, if the vet can show you that it's yours, pay it and that should hopefully keep it off your report since it would be in year 6 of 7, reporting.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2b2rich wrote:

Look through your receipts from recent vet appointments (or any that you may have on hand) and see if it shows a balance left over.  I can not imagine my vet letting something like this go for 6 years without trying to collect on it when ever I'm in there.  Sounds like it could be an error on the vet's accounting part.  If any invovices from your visits to the office since then show a zero balance, take it all down to the Vets office and ask them whats going on. In the mean time, if the court date comes up before then, then please do as others have mentioned and SHOW UP!  There have been many people end up owing by default, for something that isn't their debt.  Good Luck!

I agree.  I can't imagine that the vet would agree to continue to treat your animals if you had an outstanding balance.  At the very least, I think they would have informed you of the balance, and tacked the amount owed on a more current bill.  I still think it is fairly likely a clerical error on their part.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.