Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was feeling great until recent score drop

tag
Wizard10
Contributor

Was feeling great until recent score drop

So my FICO Score was steady and going up with my Experian at 608. I’m paying things and paid off a collection, got one removed ( could be a temp removal ) and hoping to have a goodwill work for another. I had a 6 month installment loan with Lendup and it finally showed as paid off and now my score dropped 13pts assuming due to lack of installment loan. Sheeeesh! Will this bounce back easily or will I need to always have an installment loan open to maximize my current low scores?

When I saw the 13pt drop my heart didn’t drop like it would have before that’s because I’ve learned a lot here and just yesterday learned about installment loan penalties.

edit: before I learned of how installments worked from myFico several days ago I was wondering when it will show as paid as I wanted it to look good. Well they showed me!

7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Was feeling great until recent score drop

It may have dropped due to balance owed on the original amount. Once you pass certain % thresholds on the way to payoff. Score goes up. Once under 8.99% is the real boost. No worries it will goes up as you pay. Having the instllment as a credit mix factor does help. When I paid off my truck. Man 25-30 pts lost until I got in with Alliant just in time before they nerfed the SSL. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

When an installment loan closes (your last one) yes you can lose Fico 8 points, 13 is around the average number. Over time it wont matter or not if you have an open installment loan or not as Fico is geared more to revolving credit cards. I have the scores in my signature without an installment loan and it is one of the things that I get tagged for not having a perfect 850, I dont worry about it though over as 760+ gets you the best possible terms with most lenders. Just keep doing what you are doing and keep your revolving utilization low and over time your Fico will rise.

Message 3 of 8
Wizard10
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

When an installment loan closes (your last one) yes you can lose Fico 8 points, 13 is around the average number. Over time it wont matter or not if you have an open installment loan or not as Fico is geared more to revolving credit cards. I have the scores in my signature without an installment loan and it is one of the things that I get tagged for not having a perfect 850, I dont worry about it though over as 760+ gets you the best possible terms with most lenders. Just keep doing what you are doing and keep your revolving utilization low and over time your Fico will rise.

Thanks for the positive words. I’ll keep this in mind and work on other things. 

Message 4 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I just wanted to add, while you do lose some points when loan is paid off, the presence of that TL still counts towards credit mix points (tho not as much). 

Your scores will recover in time.  I dont have an open loan, because I wont play scoring reindeer games, and mine are between 748 and 762.  

Work the derogs and you'll be fine. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

pWhere you planning to add an SSL?  I would do that, with your score still in the high 500s to low 600s, you will benefit most from keeping an open installment loan on your reports. SSL is the way to keep this going the longest but you can use self lender or something similar for the score boost, just lasts a year at a time instead of several. 

Like everyone else said, you can have a great score without it, but I do think it will help you get your scores where you want them if you still have baddies hanging around. just my opinion though. good luck Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Wizard10
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Where you planning to add an SSL?  I would do that, with your score still in the high 500s to low 600s, you will benefit most from keeping an open installment loan on your reports. SSL is the way to keep this going the longest but you can use self lender or something similar for the score boost, just lasts a year at a time instead of several. 

Like everyone else said, you can have a great score without it, but I do think it will help you get your scores where you want them if you still have baddies hanging around. just my opinion though. good luck Smiley Happy

Yea that’s why I was thinking with my scores in high 5s and low 6s that can be a boost until I can stabilize without the installment loans. I don’t belong to any bank or credit union that dies SSLs. Self lender looks decent but I’ll hold of for a week to see if a credit union I’m going to join has SSL or credit builder accounts. Thanks for your input 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

absolutely! ..Good idea.  Smiley Happy

let us know how it goes.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.