Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird...what is your thought?

tag
diveforfun97
Frequent Contributor

Weird...what is your thought?

I had some kinda weird happen on my report today.  Quick back ground is I had an electric bill go to collection back in 2012 when I bought a new house and didn't pay the final bill for the old place.  The bill was sent to a CA and I sent them a DV ( this is all years ago) and the CA was unable to verify the debt and had the account removed.  So after a few years of talking with the OC to pay the bill, because I knew I actually still owed them money, I finally got the OC to take a payment in full.  A couple days later the OC removed their account from my report.  GREAT!  Now to what happened today.  

I got got a Score Watch alert saying that a new account had been added to my report!  I pulled it up and it is a CA for this bill, showing as a paid collection.  I didn't think this was right since the OC took my payment.  So I was going to send them a letter....now the weird part.  By them putting the account of my report, my score went up 23 points....makes no since to me.

I am about to start the home buying process in July so I will do what I need to get it off, but I will miss the 23 point bump.  

Starting Score: Sep 23, 2014 EQ 577 TU 583 EX 567
Current Score as of 6/28/17 EQ 628 TU 643 EX 625
Goal Score: 700
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Weird...what is your thought?

Call the creditor and ask if, at the time you paid the debt, they had an active assignment to any debt collector to collect on their behalf.

If the never had authority, or their authority was terminated prior to your payment of the debt, then it must be deleted from your credit report per CRA policy.

Message 2 of 3
diveforfun97
Frequent Contributor

Re: Weird...what is your thought? UPDATED

Ok well I was able to get the paid collection removed from my report as I was afraid it came will a 35 drop to my score.  I have no clue how my report without the account was baseline, paid OC and then the CA adds the account and shows paid collection which raises the score 30 something points, and then have it removed and it goes down 35 points.  

Baffled on how a collection (paid or not) can help my score.

Just when you think you think that you start to understand things......oh well.

Starting Score: Sep 23, 2014 EQ 577 TU 583 EX 567
Current Score as of 6/28/17 EQ 628 TU 643 EX 625
Goal Score: 700
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.