Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo CC Charge Off Questions and Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo CC Charge Off Questions and Help

Hey guys,

New here but have been lurking all day until finally deciding to join and post.  I have an old (DOFD Aug 2015) wells fargo credit card that was charged off and I have slowly been rebuilding and reparing my credit over the years.  Student, dumb mistake, call it what you will...but they charged off $6875 and it has been haunting me ever since, and honestly is tough to talk about so bear with me while I stumble through this.

I have disputed a few other small items and ALL are now gone and my scores sit at roughly 633 which I am proud of but obviously want to get these to where they should be.  So my question is, what is the best process for tackling this next item, the big wells CC.  As many are aware, wells doesn't do a PFD and now the debt is getting pretty old so it's falling off soon enough anyway.  But I'd like to work on it and see if there is any progress that can be made.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone successfully disputed a high charge off?  Are disputes going through more successfully due to COVID?

Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo CC Charge Off Questions and Help

If it’s a debt that you actually owe, don’t dispute it. If WF verifies it, and they probably will, it will ding you’re credit score. Is it still with WF or a CA? Is it updating monthly? If so , I would call and try to work out some sort of payment plan.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is still with WF, they haven't sold it off to a CA.  Been with them for something like 5 years now so I don't see that happening but who knows.  Seems to me like they charged it off and are out of the game.  I still have my checking and savings with them so they may see that and want to keep me happy on that end, I am really not sure...

It's a lot owed, and I hate to say it but I am not really interested in paying them unless it would be a lump sum for a PFD.  I can afford it, and would like it gone (or at least drastically improved) on my report.  I thought perhaps a dispute might slip by during covid or maybe since it is so old.  (just laying out my thinking and my options).  Mistakes were made, admittedly, but it seems like this is now in a tough spot and there are no good options so I'm looking to see if anyone has been in a similar bind and whether they just waited it out or how they dealt with it.

Message 3 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is still with WF, they haven't sold it off to a CA.  Been with them for something like 5 years now so I don't see that happening but who knows.  Seems to me like they charged it off and are out of the game.  I still have my checking and savings with them so they may see that and want to keep me happy on that end, I am really not sure...

It's a lot owed, and I hate to say it but I am not really interested in paying them unless it would be a lump sum for a PFD.  I can afford it, and would like it gone (or at least drastically improved) on my report.  I thought perhaps a dispute might slip by during covid or maybe since it is so old.  (just laying out my thinking and my options).  Mistakes were made, admittedly, but it seems like this is now in a tough spot and there are no good options so I'm looking to see if anyone has been in a similar bind and whether they just waited it out or how they dealt with it.

What would you be disputing that you would hope would "slip by during covid"? If there is nothing legitimate to dispute, you likely wouldn't have success. I know you (and many others, myself included) have had some luck over the years disputing smaller collections and seeing them come off, but larger legitmate debts still with the OC aren't easy to just hope away, you need a gameplan.

If you aren't interested in paying it, then you have limited options. I have never seen Wells Fargo do a PFD, although I am sure there are examples. 

My personal opinion, If you can afford it, the best bet would be settle it so the debt is in the rearview and then attack it with GW. Depending on your state, you could be approaching or past the SOL so you could always wait it out, but remember the debt doesn't just go away it ages off your credit report.

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are not interested in paying them for something that is legitimately yours?  Pay it and be done with it.  

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I pay then it will stay on my account for another 7 years no? I just admitted the debt is mine and reset the clock on when it expires...

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I pay then it will stay on my account for another 7 years no? I just admitted the debt is mine and reset the clock on when it expires...

what do you mean by you just admitted the debt is yours?

Like you just called them up and "yes this debt is mine"?

It does not restart the DoFD. Possibly reset the SOL to collect on the debt/be sued. Someone will either correct me or confirm this.

So if this is in fact what you did and it reset the SOL, I would definitely start on a game plan with WF to make arrangements to pay them. In the end it will help you. It may not help immediately, but as you either make payments or after the last update to $0, your scores should start to heal some as the sting starts to fade and that utilization will then be at 0%.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Best route plain and simple. A CO is looked upon as a maxed out 100% utililzed card. Score killer. You pay the CO and thats all gone and will help your aggregate util % since you have the funds. Score helper. The closer to fall off date creditors will get antsy and go legal on you. Then when the CO date hits 7 y/o/ Its gone. C-Ya! But trying to think a pandemic would give you a better shot for removal from a 5 yr old CO is well. I'll stop there. #FSR

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.