Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Now? Cap One GW Letter Disaster

tag
CBrent
New Contributor

What Now? Cap One GW Letter Disaster

In response to my very nice GW letter to Capital One in which I acknowledge that I missed one 30 day payment in July of 2011, I received a letter stating that Capital One has "placed a disagreement code with a resolution of dispute on (my) credit file to the major credit reporting agencies". I was not disputing anything, and I do not want this on my credit reports. What should I do? 

I did call Capital One at the number listed in the letter, and the customer service rep with whom I spoke said that he, in response to my call, notified the three credit reporting agencies that I was not disputing anything. This doesn't feel adequate though, and I'm concerned that this "disagreement code" will end up lowering my score.  How can I stop this before it gets further out of hand? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What Now? Cap One GW Letter Disaster

@CBrent wrote:

In response to my very nice GW letter to Capital One in which I acknowledge that I missed one 30 day payment in July of 2011, I received a letter stating that Capital One has "placed a disagreement code with a resolution of dispute on (my) credit file to the major credit reporting agencies". I was not disputing anything, and I do not want this on my credit reports. What should I do? 

I did call Capital One at the number listed in the letter, and the customer service rep with whom I spoke said that he, in response to my call, notified the three credit reporting agencies that I was not disputing anything. This doesn't feel adequate though, and I'm concerned that this "disagreement code" will end up lowering my score.  How can I stop this before it gets further out of hand? 

Call the CRAs and ask the comment be deleted, it wont lower your score.

Message 2 of 4
CBrent
New Contributor

Thank you. I see this has been addressed several times on this forum in the past. For example:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Disagreement-code-amp-resolution-of-dispute-a...

Please excuse the minor freakout. I'm just starting to regain a better FICO score and I want to protect it. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

You need to send your goodwill letter to the EO office and any other high up people for which you can locate an address. Not just there standard mailing address :-) If you initiate contact with the FaceBook chat you can ask that it be escalated.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.