Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What actually happen????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What actually happen????

What actually happen when you dispute something on your credit report....
Does someone actually verify the info , or does two computer communicate via database comparison...I found that when I disputed my tax lien it took 4 weeks, but when I disputed a credit card payment history it only took 3 days...
I understand this might be a question that have an obivious answer, but if and when you dispute something and a human makes a decision , luck can definitely help...
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What actually happen????

In almost all cases, the CRAs use their electronic e-Oscar dispute system to forward the dispute to the furnisher.

The dispute is provided a three-digit code, and an optional comments box.

The furnisher returns their determination electronically via the same e-Oscar system.

Yes, humans fill out and and read the form on both ends, but it is only a one-page form.  It can alll be done in one day, or it can extend for weeks.

In the case of public record information,there is no "furnisher" in the normal sense.  The CRAs must do a re-check of the public record database to see determine any update or change in the public record information, and do their own verification or correction based on their search, with no use of e-Oscar.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info.....thanks
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found it best to always dispute everything in writing via certified mail too. Just my two cents.

Message 4 of 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

In almost all cases, the CRAs use their electronic e-Oscar dispute system to forward the dispute to the furnisher.

The dispute is provided a three-digit code, and an optional comments box.

The furnisher returns their determination electronically via the same e-Oscar system.

Yes, humans fill out and and read the form on both ends, but it is only a one-page form.  It can alll be done in one day, or it can extend for weeks.

In the case of public record information,there is no "furnisher" in the normal sense.  The CRAs must do a re-check of the public record database to see determine any update or change in the public record information, and do their own verification or correction based on their search, with no use of e-Oscar.

Again, old news.  Per the lawsuit agreement, you need human eyes.  I called back, asked to speak with US Supervisor, and asked for method of verification.  If that yields not so great results, file BBB and CFPB complaints.  (Have only had to file against equifax BBB once, they have been very friendly since.  Ex had to go through CFPB, next day phone call, item deleted).  Basis for claims:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/business/big-credit-reporting-agencies-to-overhaul-error-fixing-pr...

They lost a lawsuit.

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.