Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I do? Cancel or Keep?

tag
memevertical
Established Member

What can I do? Cancel or Keep?

Hi everyone.

I have 4 credit cards. But on 3 of them I'm just a joint user because my wife is the primary account holder. Me and my wife are splitting, so I honestly dont want my cards to be linked to her, what should I do? Should I make her drop me as a joint user? Or should I make her cancel them? 

I dont really know what to do cause I dont want my credit history to have a permanent stain forever.......

thanks everyone!!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
memevertical
Established Member

Re: What can I do? Cancel or Keep?

Any suggestions?

Message 2 of 10
barbaralee
Established Contributor

At my bank being a joing user is a permanent thing. I don't know if that is the case for all banks, but when couples call in and say they are splitting and I explain to them that their spouse can't be removed they usually just ask to cancel it.

I would ask her to cancel those cards asap. She could basically run them up, default, and you would be left responsible for the debt. But as a joint owner you should be able to cancel them yourself. I have been divorced for going on 3 years now, and found out this month I was an auth user on the ex's card. He was 60 days late on the card and it was reporting on my credit report. I immediately called the cc company and removed myself. Then I disputed it with the credit bureas. I was very successful. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

Actually, I believe it depends on the state you live in.  Or if you know your wifes info, (this could get you in trouble, but it's unlikely) you could have a female friend call up the company, pretending to be your wife with all the correct info and ask to have her "husband" removed as a joint user.  That's risky though, but it would ensure you wouldn't get blamed for your wife's shopping.   Or you two could reconcile, just a thought.  Are you a joint owner or just an authorized user?  Those are two different things, I believe.

Starting Score: 487
Current Score: Equifax: 586
Experian: 589
Transunion: 602

Overall Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
memevertical
Established Member

Well, we're not fighting so I can tell her to do that. So I guess thats the best way to go right? For her to drop me off the joint thing, and eventhough it might lower my score at first, I can rebuild it with new credit cards along the way.....is this correct?

Message 5 of 10
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

It sounds correct to me, but I'd wait for another forum user to answer before you proceed.

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The problem is you are a joint co-owner of the account, not an AU.  You can't just be taken off of a joint account like you can an AU.

If there is a balance on the CC the CCC more than likely will not remove you from responsiblity until the balance is paid off.  Once it is paid off, either you or your spouse can call and have the card closed.  Then your spouse could get one in their name only.

Message 7 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Shellemilyrose wrote:

Actually, I believe it depends on the state you live in.  Or if you know your wifes info, (this could get you in trouble, but it's unlikely) you could have a female friend call up the company, pretending to be your wife with all the correct info and ask to have her "husband" removed as a joint user.  That's risky though, but it would ensure you wouldn't get blamed for your wife's shopping.   Or you two could reconcile, just a thought.  Are you a joint owner or just an authorized user?  Those are two different things, I believe.

Is this not illegal?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 10
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

Sorry, I guess it is.  Okay, scratch that - it's HORRIBLE advice.  Just ask her to cancel it.  Don't break the law though...

Message 9 of 10
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I don't think it matters what state you are in. I believe it is more dependent on the bank than the state. For example, at my bank whether your are in California or Hawaii  we don't remove joint users.That is why whenever people call in wanting to add a joint applicant we have speak with both parties and go through this legalise. Both of them have to agree to it. What I find to be the case is that they basically shut out everything I say and call back 3 months later, furiously demanding to know how they were added as a joint when (of course) they never agreed to such a thing.

If there is debt on the card and it belongs to the other spouse I always suggest that they speak with the ex and see if they can open up another cc and do a BT of the amount so that it is not in both spouses names anymore. Then cancel the old card. It really is best to cancel in this situation. Your credit will bounce back.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.