cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cards you have 5yrs after chapter 7?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards you have 5yrs after chapter 7?

I filled 5 yrs ago and I have the typical cards of the post bk filing club (cap1, barclays and some credit unions). Does anyone have any cards from citi, amex or chase after 5 -6 yrs? Credit scores also seems to be the averaging 730s 5yrs past BK

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: What cards you have 5yrs after chapter 7?

No amex, citi, or Chase. But I do have Discover.  

I'm guessing Chase would approve me, but I'm over 5/24 until  this Nov and I'm hoping to pull the trigger on Chase in January 2017. 

Amex flat out denied me, citing my bk. I don't dare touch citi. To me Citi is the head cheerleader and Prom Queen all rolled into one. Not happening!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a discover, with a nice limit, right after my chap 7 was discharged, couldn't get one before to save my life. i filed bk on citi and chase, won't even try them...
Message 3 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Really...citi is harder to get than chase or amex? I would not have believed that.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it's been my experience that Citi is absolutely difficult to get credit with unless you're either a student or your credit is impeccable.

I'm trying to recover from an unfortunate event and Citi would not cut me slack.

Chase, AMEX, and Capital One have been kind to me so, I'm hoping to foster that relationship for a long time.

Message 5 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, it's been my experience that Citi is absolutely difficult to get credit with unless you're either a student or your credit is impeccable.

I'm trying to recover from an unfortunate event and Citi would not cut me slack.

Chase, AMEX, and Capital One have been kind to me so, I'm hoping to foster that relationship for a long time.

OK, that is interesting....as a member of the 800 club, I would not know which cards are hard to get. I have not been denied in a while for a card. I can tell you which card has been stingiest to me on CLI....Discover...SL was 4000, 1 increase to 5750, last cli request was denied. Strange when I see all the time about how generous they are on CLI. I have 2 citi cards, 2 chase cards, 1Amex bc everyday, and 1 Discover it. Also 1TD, 1Barclay, 1State Farm, 4 from CU's, 1 Capital one. Thinking of closing TD, as it is only 1% rewards so I never use it.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 12
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

No amex, citi, or Chase. But I do have Discover.  

I'm guessing Chase would approve me, but I'm over 5/24 until  this Nov and I'm hoping to pull the trigger on Chase in January 2017. 

Amex flat out denied me, citing my bk. I don't dare touch citi. To me Citi is the head cheerleader and Prom Queen all rolled into one. Not happening!

Lol, great description of Citibank. Yeah, for a while, Citi was kind of my white whale. At various points in my life I was never able to get approved for any of their cards. Once my baddies age off I'm going to take a crack at their secured card. If they still deny me I'll probably just close the book on them once and for all, lol.

Message 7 of 12
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

Really...citi is harder to get than chase or amex? I would not have believed that.

In my experience both Citi and Amex were really tough nuts to crack and showed me ZERO love. At least Chase showed me some love by approving me for two of their cards way back in 2011. One had a low starting limit of $300 and the other had a starting limit of $1000. The low starting limits was probably their way of letting me know that they didn't trust my credit history but were willing to give me a chance (with safe starting limits) only because I was a longtime Chase banking customer. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called in and apply for an AMEX and got approved instantly. Credit Karma score 729, it said on their page I had a very good chance of gettiing approved so I decided to give it a try. Many people say the credit karma card recomendation is just marketing gimmick but it worked for the 3rd time for me. 

So it is not impossible to get an AMEX after bankrupcy. I didn't bk AMEX and I filled more than 5 yrs ago. 

Message 9 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I called in and apply for an AMEX and got approved instantly. Credit Karma score 729, it said on their page I had a very good chance of gettiing approved so I decided to give it a try. Many people say the credit karma card recomendation is just marketing gimmick but it worked for the 3rd time for me. 

So it is not impossible to get an AMEX after bankrupcy. I didn't bk AMEX and I filled more than 5 yrs ago. 

Congrats to you!

You got AMEX finally  because they have a 5yr post BK rule.  5 yrs post discharge date.....you finally got past it Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.