Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do? Just uncovered debt too old to collect on, TU report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do I do? Just uncovered debt too old to collect on, TU report

Here it goes, my first post Smiley Happy Apologies if this topic is covered already. TU reports a Collection Account with NCO Financial Systems (NCO) which I never knew about until today. I called NCO to inquire and they informed me that it was a final utility bill from Seattle WA, which was "lost in the mail" from April 2002. According to their records, I last paid on that utility account March 2002. Since I just became aware of this debt, am I still liable? Washington state's SOL is 6 years and it's now 6.3 yrs old. NCO explained that they have intent to sue, the balance is now $211 when all fees are added. What do I do? Do I send a letter to TU, NCO, the Utility Company or all? If so, what type of letter? Any help is much appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do I do? Just uncovered debt too old to collect on, TU report

PismoMom wrote:
Here it goes, my first post Smiley Happy Apologies if this topic is covered already. TU reports a Collection Account with NCO Financial Systems (NCO) which I never knew about until today. I called NCO to inquire and they informed me that it was a final utility bill from Seattle WA, which was "lost in the mail" from April 2002. According to their records, I last paid on that utility account March 2002. Since I just became aware of this debt, am I still liable? Washington state's SOL is 6 years and it's now 6.3 yrs old. NCO explained that they have intent to sue, the balance is now $211 when all fees are added. What do I do? Do I send a letter to TU, NCO, the Utility Company or all? If so, what type of letter? Any help is much appreciated.

The debt isn't too old to collect on. But if those dates are correct, it is too old to sue on(as long as you appear in court).

You don't need to send a letter to TU, as it can still report until April- October 2009.

If you'd like to try and have the account removed, then you would want to send a PFD.

However, before you send a PFD, it is suggested to send a DV first.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The debt isn't too old to collect on. But if those dates are correct, it is too old to sue on(as long as you appear in court).

Oh, well I cannot appear in court if it's in Seattle, I live in CA now...how do I avoid this? I'll be checking the other information you gave me, thanks for your speedy reply.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, well I cannot appear in court if it's in Seattle, I live in CA now...how do I avoid this? I'll be checking the other information you gave me, thanks for your speedy reply.

If you opened the account in one state and moved to another, you need to check SOL for both states. They can sue in either state.

Also, check and make sure that the state you moved from doesn't toll SOL.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question...since I didn't know of this "final bill" until 6.3 yrs later, can I pay the original debt to the OC or do I have to deal with this debt-collector?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

PismoMom wrote:
Another question...since I didn't know of this "final bill" until 6.3 yrs later, can I pay the original debt to the OC or do I have to deal with this debt-collector?

That is up to the OC.  You need to call them and ask if they'll remove from collections if you PIF.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for all the beginner questions, but in your opinion which plan of action would benefit my credit score the most?
1. Contact CA with a DV followed by a PFD
2. Get OC to release debt from CA

Message Edited by PismoMom on 07-22-2008 07:41 PM
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

PismoMom wrote:
Sorry for all the beginner questions, but in your opinion which plan of action would benefit my credit score the most?
1. Contact CA with a DV followed by a PFD
2. Get OC to release debt from CA

Message Edited by PismoMom on 07-22-2008 07:41 PM

Try to do #2 and if that doesn't work then do #1.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.