Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean? **Update - talked to high up at CA what to do again?**

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does this mean? **Update - talked to high up at CA what to do again?**

A little history on this collection.

I have been sending a pfd letter basically everyday for around 2 months via email. It was your standard pfd letter but i also added a paragraph that since this is a timed barred debt and past my states SOL that it would be in the best interest of both parties to resolve the debt via the terms of the pfd letter.

Earlier in the week i get an alert from here and checked. it was removed from all three. Was surprised.

So now i get a letter that says...

Dear mr xxxx
Thank you for the letter. We have requested documentation to validate the debt pursuant your request, and we will provide documentation upon receipt. While we disagree with your conclusions surrounding the statue of limitations and the impact on credit reporting, we will request to remove our trade line from the agencies we furnish data.

We appreciate your desire to resolve the outstanding debt with our client. We are prohibited from removing the item from your credit report as a condition of repayment of the debt. We will however apply any payment received toward the balance owed should you decide to forward payment.

Sincerely,
Xxxx

**UPDATE**

Talk to someone at the corporate office that deals with quality and litigation.

I basically called and said i received your letter and my question is what will happen if i pay this collection while it is not on the credit report.  He says based on the letter we have decided that it is in our best interest to delete this collection from your reports.  We will not be reporting on this collection again so what you want to do from here is up to you.  He says if you would like to pay this or reach a settlement that resolves this account we will report that back to the OC but we will not be reporting this anymore on your credit.  He gave me the name and number to a manager in collection to call and negotiate a payment to considered settled.

So am I right in thinking that I am going to call and  negotiate a settlement so this is considered settled so that the OC can not recall the collection and send it to someone else?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What does this mean? (Letter from CA)

@Anonymous wrote:
A little history on this collection.

I have been sending a pfd letter basically everyday for around 2 monthsvia email. It was your standard pfd letter but i also added a paragraph that since this is a timed barred debt and past my states SOL that it would be in the best interest of both parties to resolve the debt via the terms of the pfd letter.

Earlier in the week i get an alert from here and checked. it was removed from all three. Was suprised.

So now i get a letter that says...

Dear mr xxxx
Thank you for the letter. We have requested documentarion to validate the debt pursuant your request, and we will provide documentation upon receipt. While we disagree with your conclusions surrounding the statue of limitations and the impact on credit reporting, we will request to remove our trade line from the agencies we furnish data.

We appreciate your desire to resolve the outstanding debt with our client. We are prohibited from removing the item from your credit report as a condition of repayment of the debt. We will however apply any payment received toward the balance owed should you decide to forward payment.

Sincerely,
Xxxx

Looks like they are going to send you validation of the debt, I would verify your SOL calculation as well. If you offered to PIF for the PFD I think I would forward the payment as soon as these drop from your reports.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I certain its past the 4 year mark. I dont have anyway to check now because its already removed from all 3.

This is the second CA to have this account. They been reporting since Oct 2014 and ive been trying to pfd since then.

If i pay it now what is the i guess legal standpoint on the collection bieng paid while not on the report. Can they re post it as paid in full if i pay it while its not bienf reported?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the errors - big fingers on iphone

I think i have a printout of report at the office so i can check monday to verify sol.
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is nothing preventing them from reporting after the debt is paid.

They are permitted to report the fact that they had collection authority, and its current status.

Having paid the debt does not negate the fact of their having collection authority.

Having said that, chances are slim they will still report.  Their reporting would have to simultaneously open a new collection, and report its closing with a $0 balance.

Debt collectors use credit reporting primarily as a collection tool, and that purpose would no longer exist once the debt is paid.

If you want assurance that they wont report, you can always end them a pay for not reporting offer.  If they agree, you have a binding contract.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im still wondering why they would validate the sol? In my state its 4 years so they can still report after.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump for update

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What does this mean? **Update - talked to high up at CA what to do again?**

@Anonymous wrote:

**UPDATE**

Talk to someone at the corporate office that deals with quality and litigation.

I basically called and said i received your letter and my question is what will happen if i pay this collection while it is not on the credit report.  He says based on the letter we have decided that it is in our best interest to delete this collection from your reports.  We will not be reporting on this collection again so what you want to do from here is up to you.  He says if you would like to pay this or reach a settlement that resolves this account we will report that back to the OC but we will not be reporting this anymore on your credit.  He gave me the name and number to a manager in collection to call and negotiate a payment to considered settled.

So am I right in thinking that I am going to call and  negotiate a settlement so this is considered settled so that the OC can not recall the collection and send it to someone else?

Give the manager a call and settle the account and that will be the end of it, thats what I am getting from your update. Just keep all the info going forward.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.