Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What have I done??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What have I done??

After my bk in 2012 I have rebuilt but all my cards are cut up except for 1. Thats how I keep my spending in control and its the best thing I have ever done for my finances. 

Message 11 of 37
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I think my bad spending habits will persist whether I use cash or credit lol but at least with cash it’s over and done
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 37
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
I had a nice credit journey and acquired great cards with great limits,
then it all came crashing down and I ended up $80K in debt and filing for BK.
... I’m just worried because these are the same exact habits I fell in before BK.

Listen to your gut instinct.  You're concerned and asking for advice for a reason.  Did you ever identify what happened the last time that led you to fail?  Have you fixed whatever that was, or resolved to do things differently?  What led to your getting out of control the last time?  I'm concerned for you and think you might be headed in the same direction if you aren't careful.   BK can be a fresh start but only if we're willing to learn from it and put the past behind us.  Tread lightly.

insanity.png

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 13 of 37
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@icyhot wrote:
I think my bad spending habits will persist whether I use cash or credit lol but at least with cash it’s over and done

Then you have your answer. Cut up the cards and open some secured ones.

Message 14 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

so keep using all these cards but make sure util doesn't go above about 9% on any individual card. always pay in full, never carry a balance, and request CLI's on the cards as often as possible if they are a softpull, don't take a hard pull for a CLI on these.

I'm with NRB525 on this: don't ask for CLIs.   If you have potential issues with misusing credit, don't add to availability!

having even one store card can lower your fico score a bit, having more than one must look pretty bad.

Why do you think store cards lower FICO scores?  

Message 15 of 37
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@icyhot wrote:

A few posts ago you asked how you should be approaching your finances based on my comment

I think you just answered it yourself. 

A person does not need a single CC to ruin their finances. Sometimes even twice or more. The only difference is, CC may postpone the inevitable by a bit. 

Message 16 of 37
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Well the reason I got into BK was because I was unemployed with a lot of bills so I used my cards to keep me afloat. I also helped way too many people that I shouldn’t have. Prior to that I always paid in full and never had a high UTL. I guess I’m concerned about going card crazy and opening and closing unnecessary accounts. That didn’t directly lead to my BK, but it wasn’t smart
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 17 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

insanity.png

FWIW, probably not Albert Einstein.   See, e.g https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/

Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

so keep using all these cards but make sure util doesn't go above about 9% on any individual card. always pay in full, never carry a balance, and request CLI's on the cards as often as possible if they are a softpull, don't take a hard pull for a CLI on these.

I'm with NRB525 on this: don't ask for CLIs.   If you have potential issues with misusing credit, don't add to availability!

having even one store card can lower your fico score a bit, having more than one must look pretty bad.

Why do you think store cards lower FICO scores?  

i didn't realize he had a compulsive spending addiction, i was trying to help him lower the risk of high util. i agree, he should get credit counselling or addiction counselling or something. i have seen in a fico handbook or on the experian site that having any store cards is seen as a negative.

Message 19 of 37
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I don’t run up balances on my cards and pay the minimum or buy things I can’t afford to pay back. So I don’t have that big a problem

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.